Skip to main content

The Writerly Sibling Tag

All the books I've accidently acquired in Germany.
Another tag from the Doorman, and here are his rules:

Las Reglas parra Tag: 
Regla Uno:  Thank the blogger who tagged you and provide a link to their post. 
Regla Dos: Answer the inquires, including any added ones by means of "Regla Seis". 
Regla Tres: Always use your own characters. No exception, unless you don't actually have sibling characters (in which case you need to go write up some) or you don't write (in which case you need to start ASAP).  
Regla Quatro: Tag three other bloggers. 
Regla Cinco: If you happen to have any siblings who blog, they are automatically tagged and cannot count towards your three. Regla Seis: Add one question or prompt to the list of questions the person before you answered relating to siblings and/or characters. Answer the question, and provide a list of all the questions of that you answered so far (So, for example, someone I tag will have 11 questions to answer, one of which will be their own. The next will have 12, 10 of which are mine, 1 of which is the previous blogger's, and 1 of which is there own. The next person will have 13, and so forth....) 
Regla Siete: Close out the post making some statement or other glorifying the King of kings.

First, some facts:
1. I waited over two years for someone to give me my first blogger tag.
2. I now hate being tagged, lol.
3. I have so many tags to catch up with and I just want them out of my draft folder. Are you prepared?

Name the most annoying sibling character in any of your stories   (Either annoying to you as the author or to any other characters)
All of them? I mean, don't we all honestly think we have the most annoying siblings? 
Though Cassie and Roger from my first contemporary novel "Perfeft" might have to be my best answer. They don't really understand each other at the beginning of the book. While their relationship is hardly even a subplot, it does progress as they mature with age.
 Name the most caring sibling character in any of your stories
The most caring would have to be Joseph from "Let Me Meet Death Dancing". He doesn't have a huge role in the book, and he can really be that annoying little brother. But he also knows just how to to snap Ava from anger to softness.    
Name the most entertaining sibling character in any of your stories
One of Zilla's many boy cousins, from "All The Other Girls". They are all quite entertaining.
   Name a sibling character who was inspired in some way by an actual sibling
He wasn't really inspired by a certain sibling, but Joseph sort of represents my seven brothers as one. 
And I'm sure Zilla's cousins had some inspiration from my brothers, though not purposefully.
 Name the largest character family (talking family, not family tree) in any of your stories
In "Let Me Meet Death Dancing" Ava works for a family that has nine children, and they're all strong characters.
   Provide one to three excerpts from your sibling characters' dialog from any of your stories
Manfred says, “I want you to be princess.”  
“So I can buy you candy?” Zilla attacks his scalp all the more viciously, digging her fingers through layers of dirt.   
Manfred yelps, slightly pulling away from Zilla’s fingers. “No. Because I like you.”
...
Zilla ... yanks the bar of soap over Manfred, resuming her violent scrubbing.  
 “But you’ll still buy me candy? Leon says you won’t because I’m too little.” 
 Zilla can’t help herself; she laughs. “If I become princess I’ll make certain you grow fat with candy and toys.” 
 “We’ll see about that,” Aunt Eme says from her rocker. “I like my boys healthy and normal.”
“See?” Emil kicks at the pile of dirty clothes. “I knew Mama wouldn’t let anything. There’s no point in either of Cinderella or Zilla in marrying the prince.” 
 “Yes, there is!” Kurt and Manfred protest together, one hiding behind Leon as Kurt dreads his approaching bath, the other under Zilla’s hands.  
 “Zilla wants to marry him.” Kurt peeks out from his hiding place to stick out his tongue at Emil.  
 “And it will make Zilla happy,” Manfred adds.
~ "All The Other Girls" 
 Name three published books which have an amazing portrayal of siblings or family
  • "Lyddie" by Katherine Paterson is basically about a young girl trying to keep her family together and failing. The sibling aspects are huge and tragic.
  • "The Masters of Ballantrae" by Robert Louis Stevenson is a disturbing tale of two brothers who, once close, separate over the most ridiculous of reasons. It is somewhat dark, but portrays well the love and hatred between brothers.
  • "The Orphan Train" series by Arleta Richardson is about a large family of siblings separated after their parents death and how one of the middle sons determines to keep at least some of them together.

 Name another author's character family that you wouldn't mind jumping into
You know, never did have the thought that I wanted to join a fictional family? Or maybe it would have been fun to be one of Anne's children of "Anne of Green Gables". Those kids had a blast ... before the war came ;/ 
  Provide an excerpt of sibling drama or camaraderie from any title (though be sure to credit it)
You want sibling drama? Read "Jacob Have I Loved" by Katherine Paterson. That is the whole theme of the book.
I'm currently reading through Jane Austen's books, and I have the feelin that she'll have lots of drama, too.
Name two characters from two unrelated books that you feel would make for great literary siblings (whether in terms of getting along, or being a constant head-to-head combat)
First thought: I REACHED THE END OF THE QUESTIONS!!! 
Second thought: I can't answer this one.

So let's just be random and say Violet Baudelaire and Katniss Everdeen. Because that would be interesting.
REQUIRED BONUS QUESTION: What is the most tragic sibling relationship you can think of?
Cain and Abel in the Bible. That story has just always made me sad, and I've always hated that Abel was allowed to be killed. And that humanity hasn't since learned, and that we don't just buck at taking care of our brother, but also excuse away all dutiful love with words of, "He isn't my brother."

Your questions:
Name the most annoying sibling character in any of your stories (Either annoying to you as the author or to any other characters) 
Name the most caring sibling character in any of your stories  
Name the most entertaining sibling character in any of your stories  
Name a sibling character who was inspired in some way by an actual sibling 
Name the largest character family (talking family, not family tree) in any of your stories  Provide one to three excerpts from your sibling characters' dialog from any of your stories  
Name three published books which have an amazing portrayal of siblings or family 
Name another author's character family that you wouldn't mind jumping into  
Provide an excerpt of sibling drama or camaraderie from any title (though be sure to credit it) 
Name two characters from two unrelated books that you feel would make for great literary siblings (whether in terms of getting along, or being a constant head-to-head combat)
What is the most tragic sibling relationship you can think of?

I tag:
Rakayle (I feel I'm almost cheating here as she's a cousin ...)
Julian
Catherine 

Pretty fun tag that Doorman came up with, yes? I personally live stories that have sibling plots, where major or not. It adds so much depth.
Do any of my fictional siblings sound interesting? 
Have you read any of the books I've posted about? 

Comments

  1. I loved Joseph so much. <3 (And boy do I need to read All the Other Girls. I tell ya, I'm neglecting all my beta reading stuff to a shameful degree.)

    Siblings are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved Jospeh ;) I'm awful at my beta reading right now, too, so I understand.

      True enough;)

      Delete
  2. This tag looks and sounds very complicated... I may get to it. :)

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is a little complicated, but that doesn't take away the fun of it ;D

      Delete
  3. J+M+J
    ... If you had only told me before I wouldn't have tagged you again... sorry.... *looks around for a window to jump from*
    But great coverage of the tag nonetheless! I recognized one title you mentioned back there, "The Orphan Train," though I confess I've never read it. My sister read it and said its really sad, but I just haven't had the time (and ya know, there are those books that you know you want to get to but yet you always forget about it a moment of boredom.)
    Your sibling families sound great though! I just had a random thought, you know what would be super fun...? (But is quite unlikely), is if all of us bloggers/writers met up and wrote a scene in which all of our character families were together in one place. I can imagine it would be quite an interesting party....
    And no problem on not knowing how to answer the last one, I honestly didn't either!
    (Sorry for taking so long to reply by the way, twas really not very polite of me)

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha totally don't apologize. These tags all came in handy as I had a lot of life stress happening that I'm not ready to write on. So these posts were good to fall back on.

      Orphan Train series is sad. But so good. Read them!

      Glad mine sound interesting ... If you ever want to hear more about them, I'm always looking for betas ;)

      That sounds so fun!

      No ptoblem. Because od life I haven't read other blogs in way too long.

      Delete
  4. Love that you wrote a character that was inspired by your brothers that's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was more of a symbolic thing than an actual inspiration :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth