Skip to main content

In Which I Decimate Three Horrible Songs


Dear Mr. President by Pink


The song lyrics are in italics, and my comments are in bold font. This is a song written to George W. Bush, but people are starting to say it relates to Trump too. I don't really care who the song is about. Even if it were about James Madison or Barack Obama I'd be saying all the following: this song is stupid. 

Dear Mr. President 
Come take a walk with me 
Let's pretend we're just two people and 
You're not better than me 
Ahhh. Please. The president isn't some god or king. What a cringy way to start out an otherwise completely cringy song. 
I'd like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly 

What do you feel when you see all the homeless on the street? 
Hmm. What do you feel? You do know that the president isn't responsible for people's life choices any more than you are. And, yes, some people choose to be homeless. Yes, this doesn't negate the fact that God told us to love and feed and help the homeless. But ... the President isn't God and he can't make homelessness go away. And what are you doing, anyway? 
Who do you pray for at night before you go to sleep? 
I doubt he prays for the continuance of homelessness. But wait ... are you telling me that you pray? I'm literally shocked. 
What do you feel when you look in the mirror? Are you proud? 
Probably. Most men are proud when they see themselves, even if they think their reflection is ugly. So what? 
How do you sleep while the rest of us cry? 
I'm not crying. And neither are you. You're singing a pathetic song. Again. He's not God. He should be allowed to sleep. And even if he couldn't sleep ... how could he wipe away your tears? Oh, yeah. By taking away honest people's money (like mine) and giving it to other people. 
How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye? 
A political comment either to the Iraq war or NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND act. Either way, it's a stupid line. 
How do you walk with your head held high? 
Can you even look me in the eye And tell me why? 
I'm sure he can look you in the eye and tell you why. And he'd probably tell you why in a dignified manner as you yelled over his words, cussing him out. 

Dear Mr. President 
Were you a lonely boy? 
Wow. This is just so stupid. Are you trying to feel sorry for him? This whole bit makes me like, "Ok, then. Let the song be over already."
(Are you a lonely boy?) 
Are you a lonely boy? 
(Are you a lonely boy?) 

How can you say 
No child is left behind? 
Ok, this is talking about an act reauthorized in some schools, the goal so that no children would be left behind educational, and all including disabled children could be taught as individually needed. I do agree that the public school system isn't the best. But my solution is homeschooling, not blaming it on the president. 
We're not dumb, and we're not blind 
I'm actually starting to think you're dumb. Sorry. 
They're all sitting in your cells 
Like school room cells? Because that's actually the first good line you gave us so far ... but I have the feeling you mean something else. 
While you pave the road to hell 
Well, at least the road is paved. 
What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away? 
I don't think he actually took away any rights from his daughter ... 
And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay? 
Again, I don't think he took away any rights. But standing against homosexuality even if your child happened to be gay doesn't mean that you're doing that to your child, but it means that you are standing by your beliefs and not being swayed by blood. 

I can only imagine what the first lady has to say 
I think she approves of her husband. So I don't know what you mean here. 
You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine 
This is a testimony to his growth, not an insult. 

How do you sleep while the rest of us cry? 
How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye? 
How do you walk with your head held high? 
Can you even look me in the eye? 
Already addressed this nonsense.

Let me tell you 'bout hard work 
This is when I started laughing out loud. 
Minimum wage with a baby on the way 
And how was this baby made? Where is the father? I bet it's not the president's child. 
Let me tell you 'bout hard work 
Honestly, I doubt you've ever worked a day in your life.
Rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away 
You were bombed? Or do you mean like cockroach bombed ... 
Let me tell you 'bout hard work 
Seriously. 
Building a bed out of a cardboard box 
I remember those days as a child, when I had a real bed, but that box just looked so much nicer ... 
Let me tell you 'bout hard work 
Hard work 
Hard work 
I laughed hard. 
You don't know nothing 'bout hard work 
Hard work 
Hard work 
Still laughing. Saying hard work over and over doesn't mean you know anything about it. 

Oh How do you sleep at night? 
Probably with a pillow on a real bed. 
How do you walk with your head held high? 
Because he knows he hasn't written such a senseless song. 

Dear Mr. President 
You'd never take a walk with me 
Would you?
Dear Pink, would you walk with him, or would you attack him with your hands and lips? 


What if God Was One Of Us by Joan Osborne


Several years ago I bought a bunch of "Christian" CDs and this song was on one of the disks. I'd always meant to make one of my first blog posts about how terrible this song was. Here we are nearly 400 posts later, and I'm finally talking about it. I actually heard this song a lot while in Germany on the radio, and so that's how I was reminded. 

If God had a name what would it be? 
People disagree on the spelling, but the general consensus is Yahweh. 
And would you call it to his face? 
The Jews believe it would be disrespectful, and I'm half-way inclined to agree. We'd probably call Him Father, Lord, or Master. Some pray to Him as Abba. 
If you were faced with Him in all His glory 
So you've acknowledged his Glory ... which makes it all the harder to believe that you're about to say what you sang. 
What would you ask if you had just one question? 
Of course, I want to ask Him about all the "unanswered" stories in the Bible. Such as, what happened to the ark of the covenant? And why don't we have more about the Biblical Keturah? 
What would you ask Him, Osborne? 

And yeah, yeah, God is great 
Yeah, yeah, God is good 
And yeah, yeah, yeah-yeah-yeah 
Why am I hearing one huge but ... 

What if God was one of us? 
He wouldn't be God, Osborne. Unless you're referring to when Yeshua became man. 
Just a slob like one of us 
Let's just assume you're speaking of Yeshua. When He was man He was NOT a slob. What happened to all that Glory talk? 
Just a stranger on the bus 
He was a stranger. And we know how people treated Him. 
Tryin' to make his way home? 
He wasn't trying to make His way home, but make a way for us to get home. 
If God had a face what would it look like?
Glory and love.  
And would you want to see if, seeing meant 
That you would have to believe in things like heaven 
I think the Bible is very clear that we all think we'd want to see His face until confronted with His Glory. Until Yeshua. And then we saw His face and still many refused to believe in Heaven. 
And in Jesus and the saints, and all the prophets? 
Oh ... maybe you weren't speaking of Yeshua after all ... but how does seeing God's face make one believe in the saints and prophets? Actually, many believe in those and not God. 

And yeah, yeah, God is great Yeah, yeah, 
God is good And yeah, yeah, yeah-yeah-yeah 
What if God was one of us? 
Just a slob like one of us 
Just a stranger on the bus 
Tryin' to make his way home?
This is just incredulously melodramatic. 
Just tryin' to make his way home 
Like back up to heaven all alone 
He's certainly not alone in Heaven. 
Nobody callin' on the phone '
It is sad that many don't "call on" Him. This could be a good line if it wasn't squashed in such a song. 
Cept for the Pope maybe in Rome 
No disrespect to my Catholic friends, but I doubt the Pope is on such good terms with God these days. 

And yeah, yeah, God is great 
Yeah, yeah, God is good And yeah, yeah, yeah-yeah-yeah 
What if God was one of us? 
Just a slob like one of us 
This line, along with the line "If God Had A Name" are the reasons I hate this song. 
Just a stranger on the bus 
Tryin' to make his way home? 
Just tryin' to make his way home 
Like a holy rolling stone 
Uhhh my ears and my eyes and everything. 
Back up to heaven all alone 
Just tryin' to make his way home 
Nobody callin' on the phone 
'Cept for the Pope maybe in Rome
In Germany, they say, "Es gibt keine dummen Fragen" (there are no dumb questions). But I think this song proved that proverb false. 

Can We Pretend by Pink

I heard this song on the radio and hated it mostly because I thought it said "can we both pretend we hate the president". And I was like, "Why?" Every time I hear it, I still hear the word hate. But it turns out she actually says like. Also, who'd know that two songs I greatly dislike would turn out to both be sung by the same lady? 

I remember conversations 
We were dancing up on tables 
Conversations on tables? Or did you have a conversation about dancing on the table? 
Taking pictures when we had nowhere to post 
Pictures aren't for posting, but remembering. 
You were laughin', 
I was cryin' 
Well that doesn't sound like a happy relationship. Or healthy, either. 
We were dancin', we were dyin'
Yeah, definitely not healthy. 
Sometimes I don't know how we walked away 
Then why are you looking back? 

If I'm honest, what I liked 
Were the things we didn't know 
So you liked being ignorant? 
Every morning, every night I'd be beating down your door 
And you're bragging about being a toddler? 
Just to tell you what I'm thinking 
Because you had no way to text him your thoughts? 
But you already know Screw this, I don't wanna let it go 
I don't get this. But then, you did confess stupidity earlier. 

So can we pretend that I'm 22 today? 
Dancin' on the tables with you, 
Umm ... don't you mean two? 
oh yeah 
Thanks for confirming. 
Can we pretend that we all end up okay? 
Why not choose to get your act together and not wish to go back to whatever it is that turned you out into something "not okay"?
I just wanna forget with you, oh yeah 
Forget what happened by reliving it? 
Can we pretend that we both like the president? 
Are you obsessed with hating the president? 
Can we pretend that I really like your shoes? 
I'm so glad that you consider liking the president and you bf's shoes as of equal importance. 
Hell yeah Can we pretend?
Honey, Hell is too hot for pretending. 
'Cause honestly, reality, it bores me 
Wow, reality bores you? So ... maybe get a life and stop ... 
Let's pretend, oh, let's make believe 
... pretending. Seriously. Reality is what you make it to be, not how you drown and dance it away. 
Can we, can we pretend? 
Can we pretend? 
You really like repeating words, don't you? 

I remember what we wanted 
What did you want? 
What we'd never take for granted 
What would you never take for granted? The serious moment is lost on me amidst all the garbage. 
How our daddy issues took us to LA 
Well, if that isn't a lame excuse for goals. 
If I'm honest, what I miss 
Is not knowin' what to say 
Ah, what a sweet moment. #OrCouldHaveBeen

And the feeling of your lips 
And it haunts me every day 
Well, that's a sad kiss. 
When you'd tell me what you're thinking 
But I'd already know Screw this, 
I don't wanna let it go 

Oh yeah So can we pretend that I'm 22 today?
Correction: two years old
 Dancin' on the tables with you, oh yeah 
Further clarification: definitely two years old. 
Can we pretend that we all end up okay? 
Your choices are still not over. 
I just wanna forget with you, oh yeah 
Forget by reliving? I don't get this. 
Can we pretend that we both like the way it is? 
Hell yeah Can we pretend that we like these fake-ass dudes? 
Oh yeah Can we pretend? 

'Cause honestly, reality, it bores me
Boredom is not something to brag about: reality is your responsibility. 
 Let's pretend, oh, let's make believe 
Grow up. 
Can we, can we pretend? 
Grow up
Can we pretend? 
Grow up
If I'm honest, what I liked 
Were the things we didn't know 
And get an education. 

Every morning, every night I'd be beating down your door 
And learn some manners. 

Just to tell you what I'm thinking 
But you'd already know 
Screw this, I don't wanna let it go 

So can we pretend that we both like the president? 
And stop singing about the president. 

Can we pretend that you like my fake-ass shoes? 
And start caring about things that actually matter. 

Oh yeah Can we pretend? 
If you seriously want to be two again, sure. 
'Cause honestly reality, it bores me 
Let's pretend, oh, let's make believe 
Can we, can we pretend? Can we pretend? 
Oh, can we pretend? Can we? Let's make believe 
Can we (Can we) Can we pretend? 
'Cause honestly, reality, it bores me Let's pretend, oh, let's make believe
Can we, can we pretend? Honestly
Honestly, it's too much hard work to think of pretending to live in your world. 


Bonus: One song I like, but would probably hate if I actually listened to the lyrics



What songs do you can you not stand? 
Are there any songs you probably should hate, but love anyway? What do you think of what I did with these songs? Would you like to see more posts like this? 

Comments

  1. I am WHEEZING and you're 100% right what is P!nk's deal with the president like Dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just born into us to want to care about the world, including its politics, but some people are so "deceived". Really, we ought to feel sorry for her, I suppose, and not laugh. But ... the lyrics are kinda perfectly open for criticism ;D

      Delete
  2. I've never heard theses before. Some songs are just weird....

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are old songs for sure, but we're quite popular in Germany. They seem to like our old stuff ;b You're right about weird ;)

      Delete
  3. "Honey, Hell is too hot for pretending". My official quote of the year.

    I've never heard any of these songs, but I definitely agree that once you start to pick apart the lyrics of some popular ones... it kinda destroys your brain that this is considered good music. :P


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my I was like, "Where did you see that line?" I was on such a roll I didn't even realize what I wrote. I'm gonna totally quote myself from here on out too lol.

      I can't believe that these songs aren't as well known as I thought they were ;D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth