Skip to main content

Eventually We Must Forget

Written 9/11 
2022

A great place to meet someone you've only talked to online is at church... theirs, or some new place for both of you!

Today I met up with a Twitter mutual at her Orthodox church. This is now the 4th Orthodox church I've visited. Each has been slightly different (this one had pews and no rugs and stained-glass windows), but what I've loved about the services has remained true and steadfast.

I really do love the Orthodoxy churches, especially the A Cappella singing and long scripture readings. I've been having a hard time sitting down to focus on scripture reading these days. I just can't. A thought struck the other day: most people didn't use to read the Bible, but had it read to them. We modern Christians have been taught that we need much alone time to read and study. And I'm not necessarily against this. It just isn't working for me these days... 
And yet I could sit and listen to just about anyone read passages to me for any amount of time. 

Just for this I've considered joining the Orthodox church. And yet deep down I know that most of what I love about Orthodoxy would be lost to me if I were a member:
The feeling that I can belong even as a stranger, that I'm welcomed and wanted and that there are no cliques here, that someone will bring me a piece of bread so that I might also join their communion. This last part touches me greatly. I've visited dozens of churches of all denominations, and always sit out the communion. It is only the Orthodox churches that have made me feel as if I ought and should join them.

Just as they so often chant, "God is good and loves all mankind" so it feels they truly believe every person is deserving to sit beside them and to belong to our Messiah.

Today they read passages about John the Baptist, and how his head was served on a silver platter for the amusement of Herod's household. The priest announced, "At today's potluck there will be no plates. We do not eat off plates today to remember that John's head was cut off and put on a plate."


On my way home from church I passed under a bridge with many American flags draped over the sides and a sign that read "Never Forget!" 

Forget what? It took me a moment to leave thoughts of the service to recall that this is a 9/11 slogan, and even why they might be hanging that up today.

A tad annoyed by the sight, I thought to myself. Why is it so important we remember a couple of tall buildings fell in NYC? Surely, we don't "remember" because of the people that died. If we did, we'd all be outraged over the innocent currently imprisoned underground the Land of the Free and Brave. 
Or we'd remember he whose head was served on a silver platter today longer ago so that we would all know the Messiah and so that none of us might perish. 

I thought back then to another part of the service, the very end, where they held a memorial. The funeral had already happened, but they had a liturgy of remembrance, calling for none to forget the deceased man.

The priest said, "It is not so you all don't forget that we hold this service. Your memories die quickly, as you too shall. It is for an anti I-do 
-not-know-you. Jesus remembered Lazarus' name, but the rich man's name is forever forgotten. When we ask for this man to be remembered we are asking that God not say He never knew him."

And so, I look at the bridge and the men holding American flags, and I'm glad that I'm forgetting. Perhaps they too will forget war and vengeance, and instead remember how to sing, and join voices to shout, "Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God."

Comments

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth