Skip to main content

A Confession From a Non-Competitive Woman






My readers, acquaintances, and stalkers see the things I accomplish. I, alongside the comfort of my own shadow, know of my distractions and my tendency to focus on the wrong tasks, always a little behind on the priorities, or rather prioritizing things in a haphazard manner. 
Some see me as competitive.

Today I make a confession. I am not competitive. I do not do things to compete. I don't bother with comparing myself to others; I have little envy for another's life. I am happy and content, and while someone might inspire me, that inspiration does not lead me toward lust but growth

Years ago, some strange soul that knew me quite well rightly judged me as having no ambition. To this person that was a taboo personality defect in myself. 
For a time, I cared. I tried out ambition... and found myself reverting to the old, simple delights of my life.

Sure, there is a dedication to my work that appears jarringly like competition. . . but appearances, as we all know, lack the reason of motivation. 

That classic question containing all the weight of presumed projections: "Why?" 

Why does the workaholic love money so much? It's likely he hates money, hardly spends it or gives it all away, but is looking to drown some sorrow in the steady mundane. Perhaps it is the procrastinator who is the most ambitious of us, the one who cares to win the most, who desires the most success. We never really know why anyone is how they are, unless we ask, and unless we wait for someone to give us an honest answer. And even then... do we ever know? Does it really matter to know, just as long as we are aware of our own motivations? 

I am at terribly curious and lazy woman, with a strong dose of extroverted self-pride (I like to share the inspiration, what comes around goes around). I do what I do because I love it, because I believe it, because I'm a bit of a workaholic and an extroverted loner. 

But to be competitive would devalue all of this. Why would I degrade my visions and handiwork with the base desire to be better than others?? If I truly believed in what I said and did, all I felt for my friends and loved ones would be admiration. I am truly that person that plays the board game determined to win because I enjoy the challenge, but content to lose because another's success doesn't undermine my own worth any more than my success would discredit theirs. 

Honestly, I don't believe most people are really competitive beings. Someone might tell me, "Yes, I'm competitive. I like to win." 

Well. Who doesn't like winning. But that absolutely doesn't mean you are the sort of person who is jealous over everyone else's wins. Do you really like to see others lose? Others get degraded? Do you really want others to feel like they are unworthy next to you? Then you aren't really a competitive person. You're simply someone who delights in doing all things well, including sports and games.

What baffles me is a competitive spirit between lovers or good friends. No relationship is strengthened by trying to "put one up" on the other. If you "win" in these sorts of situations, you gain nothing but distrust and hatred. Healthy relationships build each other up, congratulate each other, inspire each other, give and take willingly. 

And if a moment of envy does stab the heart, be like me and my friends and just blurt out, "We hate each other, don't we?" or "I'm really jealous of you right now."

Often, they will start crying and return the confession, "I'm jealous of you right now, too."

You'll laugh, you'll talk, and you'll go back to being good friends. 

Yes, I believe in being focused to your vision. But this stems from the virtues of loyalty, dedication, and self-less love. A truly focused, dedicated mission has little thought of common success or worldly opinions. There is something much more noble at work: the action of dreams wrought. 

What is something you do that makes you appear to be competitive? 




Comments

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth