Skip to main content

Daredevil (How Bad Can I Be): Thoughts From Movies




I have this thing for plot-driven action movies. I like a good, balanced movie.

Of course many of these sort of movies aren't always 100% appropriate, so that is sad. And I wonder if they are even worth watching - sure you may be inspired, encouraged, or entertained...but at the cost of loosing more innocence and having your mind stuffed fuller with rotting garbage.

I am finding that it is not stupid to be extremely cautious with what we put into ourselves. Food. Media. Fulfilling desires isn't always enough...sometimes one needs to also eat to grow and strengthen. 

I actually don't watch many movies any more. Too busy. Too tired. Or too something ;p.

But a while back I felt like sacrificing all the too's to just take a break and watch a movie. 

Daredevil was the one I decided upon ;)

I kinda like unique superhero stories. Drama + action might = awesome.

I will say, I was surprised by how much I liked it. To such a point that the one scene I did have to skip over didn't irritate me that much.

Anyways, the movie - warning: spoilers.

It actually didn't have that amazing of a plot...the thing had tons of potential that was never expanded on. Such as Daredevil being a lawyer and the main love interest being set up by the main bad guy as being guilty could have made for a good plot going back and forth between him trying to prove her innocent in the day and protecting her at night.

Despite the lack in expanded potential, the story really caught me and I sympathized with the main guy, a man blinded as a boy.

He had been such an innocent child. Had so much hope in life. But then suddenly, his eyes were opened up to the horrible reality of just how evil people were and how depressing life was...just as he lost his sight forever.

Yet, he didn’t' give up. He used his 4 other senses to find hope...only to have hope shattered over and over and over and over…

And so, a grown man, he was a lawyer that fought for justice in the day, and a vigilante that sought revenge at night.

And the conflict of his two-sided life tore him up.

He wasn't able to connect to people. He tried to find his own hope by his own terms.

He looked for what couldn't be found through the violence of his own hands.

And as he continued down a path that he knew was wrong, he tasted only failure. And more hurt.

I thought it interesting that they presented Christianity (Catholicism) in a good way. In the end the only man that really seemed to be void of depression was the priest.

I liked the movie because it really showed something about humanity: it's depressed state of mind, and how it closes one off from knowing the truth, doing right, and experiencing a full life.

The movie also made the main guy such a jerk. The movie showed that even though life had been hard, depression was real, and hurt terrible Daredevil was still an unlikable jerk because he was letting himself wallow in his own selfish world of pain, not caring about what other's felt.

And he payed for it, tragically, and then learned from that payment.

Though it was an awful, high price.

I liked the movie because I could feel so much in it.

I hated the Bull's Eye villain...he was so cruel when he killed people.

I really hated the graphic violence in it...it seems this world, as it plummets more and more into self-centered depression becomes desensitized toward others' pain and hurt. It felt too real...like the violence was mimicking just how unloving one can be inside. How unsympathetic. 

The movie made me pity humanity more, as I even wanted to hate it more ;/

We all can be such jerks. And can know such people.

It's sad. 

Because just as the movie had so much potential in an amazing plot - so do our lives. We each could experience full lives. We each could possess such good characters - could love and care and be selfless.

Yet, so many of us fail.

So many of us cause hurt, and are hurt in return.

And I hate that about life. 

We aren't supposed to be living such wretched, dark, depressed, self-centered lives. 

We aren't supposed to be making life about finding ourselves or even doing what's best for us.

If one would just make life about God first. And then think about those in their life second. Then maybe we could avoid at least half the depressed state of humanity depicted in Daredevil.

On, a happy note: I watched Dr Seuss' The Lorax. There you have a sad group story centered around greed and selfishness that plummeted many into depression, pain, and destitution. 

But there was hope.

Because there was change.

Change that took work AND forgiveness.

How many of us are willing to do both???

How many of us are even willing to admit we did wrong? 

Even when we are obviously in the wrong, it is so easy to just be blind to our own actions.

After all, how bad is it really to just look out for me????




Comments

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth