Skip to main content

Little Devils Mimic Big Demons


Imagine being the oldest of twelve children and fifty plus cousins. You aren't sure if it is due to experience or your innate nature, but you are quite good at bossing all these "youngsters". You get huge things done with numbers at your disposal. You create economies and you are the bankster, your siblings and cousins your working class (or the counterfeiters). 

Everyone honors you and burdens you with trust.
But you are also the first one in trouble if something does go wrong. 

Now imagine being told, "They are all looking up to you. Whatever you do they will do ten times worse." 

You wish to wear a skirt that might show your knees if you sit down. "Yes, it's not that immodest," you are told. "But... if I allow you to wear that your little sister will want to wear a mini skirt when she is your age." 

If you do this, they will want to that

Be an example, you are told. It's even Biblical. You can't argue with it. And yet... and yet, you want to ask, "But who is my example?"

Again you look at the skirt that isn't really immodest. Why does your wearing that mean that your siblings and cousins will do worse? Who are you doing worse than? 

* * * 

I have a billion aunts and uncles. Maybe more like thirty. But still, a lot. Some of them I know quite well, some of them hardly at all. One could say they were my example. And yet, I was never allowed to think that just because my aunts were doing something immoral my own actions would be justified. 

I was responsible for myself. And I was responsible for all of the younger ones, too. 

* * * 

Sometimes I felt trapped. Before doing anything I would hear my grandma or mom warning me, "They are watching."

I grew older. I met boys, I traveled, I sought after dreams that my family disapproved of. And I wondered, "What will my siblings do? How will they ruin their lives because I chose to do something that wasn't 100% kosher? 

* * * 

An aunt I hardly knew took me out to dinner. I poured my heart out to her. "I can't do anything because of them. But even when I try to do everything perfect my siblings don't. And I get blamed all the same. I don't know what to do. I try and I am lectured. And yet what I want, isn't evil." 

"Keturah, my family was the same way. It's not right for all the blame to be on an elder child's shoulders. Each person, no matter birth order, is responsible before God for their own sins. Do what God calls you to do." 

And I felt free. 

* * * 

"Am I brother's keeper?" Cain asked of God. 

"Your brother Abel's blood cries out to me." 

* * * 

I have felt like a demon, always failing, retaining charge over many little devils. I am so small. They are ferocious. I did not mean to fall from heaven... God, would you forgive a repentant angel? But their intentions do not say they mean to do good. They say that I have killed them, that their sin is my fault. Is it my fault? My heart seeks to do right. Don't I? Or do I seek justification? Do I, too, mock God?

"Am I their keeper?" 

I could say their intentions are not right. I am not Cain, they are not Abel. I could say so many things to absolve myself from duty. Still, my duty remains! 

And yet. 
Legalism is never required, not even of me. We must each come before God and offer our sacrifice. We are each responsible for our own sin. God sees the heart, the intentions, the love that rules or lacks. 

I am their keeper. 
We are commanded to love and care for one another. But this love is not self-destructive. I do not save anyone by wearing chains. 

I lead rather by showing what it means to be free. I must shower bright joy around me so that they see who is our Great Example. 

I am free. 

I am not a demon leading devils. 

I  have my example, my dear master Yeshua (Jesus). And yes, through Him, I am an example. An example of how to love Him with all of my talents and being. They must see this. Perhaps then the length of skirts will become irrelevant. 

Never, never forget the brothers and sisters and cousins. You are meant to watch over them. But this is not a burden. It is a blessed act of love. 

Are you an older sibling? Has this felt like a burden or blessing growing up? 

Comments

  1. I use to struggle with this a lot, and while I try to be a good example. I also realize that their going to make their own decisions and it has nothing to do with me.
    I still care though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's good to still care, and realize that at the end of the day, it's not about you (or me). Which makes our responsibility all the more easier somehow, even as we continue to bear it ;d

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth