Skip to main content

My Lost Tooth Dream

I dreamt my tooth was loose. 

I've dreamed such dreams throughout much of my life. So far I've always awoken relieved to find my teeth still firmly rooted in my mouth. 

But this dream was different. Only one tooth was about to fall out, and it was one of my front side teeth. When I smiled it showed. 

What follows is almost funny. 

You know how fingers always want to touch and wriggle things they ought not to? It was all I could do to keep my fingers out of my mouth. I would not help this tooth come free. In fact, I would pretend it was alright. And then it would be. I couldn't lose it. I needed it. Maybe if I needed it enough, it would be fine... 

No such luck. It fell out. 

I thought, "Maybe I can put it back in!" 

But it broke into many chunks, larger than the tooth ever could have been. 

I panicked. I would not be able to live if I could not smile. How could anyone? One had to smile. They would die without happiness, wouldn't they? 

I held onto the pieces of the tooth that had now ruined my life. Bitterness threatened to consume me. I had lost and I could do nothing to fix it, though even now I sought every possible solution. Nothing was possible. 

Except for the one thing I knew I necessary. Surrender. 

Palm upward, fingers sprawled, I held out the pieces of tooth. I did not see who took them, but I believe it was God. 

With tooth gone forever, so were the temptations, regrets, and bitterness. I was free. I was not less. Oh, and what was this bliss! It was so much! It was peace and joy and immense relief. 

I smiled. 

I saw myself smiling, and there was no visible gap. I checked... yes, the tooth was still gone. But where it had been was far out of the reach of my open lips. And... there were still roots there. I knew the tooth was not gone permanently, after all. 

* * * 

I once told someone I had recurring dreams of teeth falling out of my mouth. I'd meant to make them laugh. They had dabbled in psychology and told me,  "That's a sign of feeling out of control as you experience some abrupt loss." 

I was immediately ashamed for being accidentally so completely vulnerable.  

Even now, I'm hesitant to share this dream. Dreams are strange. But there is something about this one, no matter how personal, that just seems to want to be shared. 

How I thought I needed that tooth to smile! How I think I need so many things to be happy! I try so hard to make everything go my way, to do all the 'right' things, to fix and mend it all. It matters not if I think I have self-control and keep my fingers from annoying the situation. I still believe lies. I still trust my own strength and my own perception of what is true. 

 But God knows better. 

I need nothing to be happy. And it's not my job to try and fix anything. 

My job is to surrender all my desires and my pains; to hold no record of wrong, to forgive, to smile. How happy it makes one! 

I can't help but think of the martyrs during the early days of Christianity. Oh, they must have felt the pain as they were tortured. But it was not all they felt. As they experienced great trials, they knew the presence of God so thoroughly that joy naturally outshone their agonized tears.  

I know what the tooth represents for me. I know what I must surrender. But the roots that were left behind remind me of a story my grandma told me of a tooth growing back when it never should have. Whether those roots are a remembrance of what God already did, or a sign of all the good He means to do yet, I must surrender. And smile. 

Here's a song with a line about tooth-losing dreams:



Does the tooth represent anything for you in your life? 

Comments

  1. The teeth dreams always terrify me, nice to know there's a explanation for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited the post to link a song I think you'd love

      Delete
  2. This felt so weird to read for a minute because I had a similar dream recently and I was very confused for a moment. XD Glad to know yours was just a dream too.

    Love the song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how we all connect in our dreams, in some way or another!

      Delete
  3. I have these dreams on a regular basis too and it's terrifying. xD Sometimes I just lose a tooth, sometimes all my teeth just crumble right out of my mouth. *shudders*

    All that aside, great post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crumbling teeth are the worst!!! Thanks, Emily :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth