Monday, October 20, 2014
Beautiful Books #1
This is a link up to a blog that hosts Beautiful People ( this month and for the next two Beautiful Books), a challenge with the purpose to get to know your own characters better. If you'd like to participate, click on the picture and it'll take you to Cait's blog.
1. What came first: characters or plot idea?Are you a plotter or a pantser?
Two little plot details :D I had just cleaned a house with bleach and had a rash from using it, and on top of that I was bit up bad by mosquitoes, so I ( being silly, since I hate sci-fi ) decided I was going to write a science fiction with giant mosquitoes and bleach guns ;b it's gone fantasticly from there.
I have the plot outlined in my head, and I take notes as I go along, but I'd consider myself more of a panster definitely. :b
2. Do you have a title and/or a “back-cover-blurb”?
Title is Silent Thoughts. No blurb :)
3. What wordcount are you aiming for when your novel is finished?
Short chapter book with hopefully 20,000 words...I know, not much. I have a hard time making words count up :( but 20,000 will be twice as much as anything else I've written....sooo.
4. Sum up your novel in 3 sentences.
Taylor only wanted unlimited knowledge and access to it, then to be a space ranger. But all the secrets he discovers on the way, all the danger he encounters gives him second thoughts. Will he be able to stand under the pressure, or will he give in?
5. Sum up your characters in one word each.
Taylor Ibori: Unsure
Mashaki Payne: carefree
Captain Vase: mysterious
Captain Payne: determined
Professor Shepppard: leadership
Hedley Kieffner: loyal
6. Which character are you most excited to write? Tell us about them!
Well Taylor is my main character so he's exciting...but I really like writing about Mashaki..my only female character. She's really fun and keeps everything alive, appearing care free - at first. Then Hedley is a character I just added, so I'm excited to write his parts in....he's the guy that keeps Taylor going.
7. What about your villain? Who is he, what is his goal?
I don't have a specific villain. More so the MC is villain to the plot. Politics. Taylor is for one way, and some mysterious people for another cause. The two conflict, and Taylor is in the middle of it all.
8. What is your protagonist’s goal? And what stands in the way?
Taylor wants one thing...knowledge, power. Respect. He wants to keep world order, and avenge *spoiler*. But he realizes his goals are all mixed up. Mashaki is the only one that keeps him back.
9. What inciting incident begins your protagonist’s journey?
Getting accepted into a college only for the select few...meaning only a couple hundred. This is his ultimate goal at the beginning, and took him years to achieve.
10. Where is your novel set?
Sometime in the future, on a planet discovered years before.
11. What are three big scenes in your novel that change the game completely?
Mashaki being introduced, meeting Brian, and Steven's trial.
12. What is the most dynamic relationship your character has? Who else do they come in contact with or become close to during the story? Mashaki and Taylor become very close. Professor Sheppard influences Taylor immensely. But Captain Vase has the most dynamic relationship with Taylor at the end.
13. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? He learns the true meaning of the past and unity, and learns to give up all his dreams ( old and new ones ) for something better.
14. Do you have an ending in mind, or do you plan to see what happens?
I have the ending sketched out in my head. But I'm sure I'll be surprised some by what happens :b
15. What are your hopes and dreams for your book? What impressions are you hoping this novel will leave on your readers and yourself? (This is your mission statement, one you can look back on when the road gets tough.)
I want others to read the book, and have the mixed emotions of satisfaction, sadness, and hope. I want to get this published as a short novel. I hope it will inspire others who are facing tough choices, yet give them something enjoyable to read all at once. I want to feel like I actually wrote a book!!!