Skip to main content

Sewing for a Wedding

Even before I finished these I was asked to make a bridesmaid dress. I had by this time got burnt out with custom sewing... not a good start for a difficult project :P. But I agreed to do it.


I helped the lady pick out fabrics from Joann's and helped her design the dress... Mom did a lot of this, too. But before I actually began sewing, I did these;

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I added straps to the wedding dress,


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I hemmed this dress that one of the ladies attending the wedding wore.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And I altered the flower girl's dress, making it smaller in the bodice.


Getting around to the bridesmaid dress was hard!!! But I had a deadline. It was the beginning of August. I had till August 31.

I started with cutting it all out... with help from Mom. The fabric was difficult to cut out, and we kept having to trim and re-trim it. I did some of the small sewing, then started with the embroidery - my mom drew the design.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

She penciled it on one half, then I traced over that with a gel pen so it showed up, and traced it on the other half. Since the embroidery and beading were on a sheer overlay, doing them was half way easy, since all I had to do was pin the pattern to the back side of t he sheer, and embroider/bead over that.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic



Image and video hosting by TinyPic


The embroidery took three and a half full days (mom let me off all work so I could do nothing but embroider), and the beading another day. At first I used a tool to heat up the beads on the bodice, but the batteries were dead before I was 1/4 of the way done, so the lady I was making this for bought glue for me to just glue on stick the beads on (this ended up being a faster way anyways). The only thing was when sewing it all together the beads scraped off and I had to glue them back on.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


My sewing mess - before it got very bad. The wedding was cancelled (because the bride had surgery and was sick) while I was doing the embroidery. This gave me more time. But I didn't find out the new date until ten days beforehand - October 18.

The whole dress is lined. The belt is lined so no seams show. On the inside of the slip/lining I sewed tulle, so the dress skirt puffs out. At first the dress was going to have gathers at the waist, but the lady decided this didn't look good, so we re-cut out the skirts to an a-line.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

At first we were going to do the belt grey with lace trim on top, but decided it would look better being overlayed with black sheer.
One other thing worth mentioning is that she wanted the scallop on the lace used for the edge of the skirt, but since the skirt was cut out at an a-line, the scallop couldn't be left on. So we cut it out, planning to glue it on with fabric glue. Problem was the glue showed...so I ended up cutting off the scallop. Before cutting off the scallop, I tried peeling off the glue, even putting it in hot water to melt it off. All this did was shrink the lace skirt. But I was able to find as lace scallop online that matched the skirt and made up for what had been shrunk. This lace was ruffled onto the skirt.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh, I finished the dress in this picture, then had her try it on. But the invisible zipper burst open (they don't make good zippers anymore!) so I had to take it out and put in a regular dress zipper... which meant another day's work, as I had to take out some hand stitching, put a new zipper in, and slipstitch the lining back in place.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By the way, the dress is sparkly grey satin. The skirt is overlayed with black lace, the belt, sleeves, and bodice with black sheer, and the belt has black trim sewn on the center.

We were invited to the wedding!!! It was really fun... we were almost the only non-Mexicans present. The pastor who performed the wedding was white, so there was another man that translated it in Spanish for everyone else. It was great seeing my project being used - and not having to work on it!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

  1. Those dresses are amazing.......breathtaking...wow I am at a loss for words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It wasn't until the wedding that I was actually able to appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth