Skip to main content

Growing Through Unjust Criticism (Instead of Falling Down)



How can one use criticism to grow instead of break down and feel condemned? How can you master pride yet keep your self-worth, even if you are right?

Impossible it seems.

It's a very hard thing… It's easier if you are actually wrong – or at least the answer is easier to give. Haha.

Just get over yourself. Accept the correction. Just change.

But when you aren't wrong?

(And when you are truly not in denial)

I think most of us will find ourselves facing this one time or another. But not often – because normally, let's face it. We are wrong. We deserve the criticism. And even if there is wrong on the other side, there is usually just as much fault if not more on our side.

But there will be those few times when this is not the case. And this can be very hurtful, and even discouraging if the people accusing are very close, yet not open to what's true.

Still we need to remember a few things, so we don't join the wrong side. Because it's very easy to start out innocent and become truly guilty.

Here are my tips for keeping from drowning in a place where condemning words seem to be crashing all around you, pulling you in, so that all you want to do is scream out in frustration and beat some sense into EVERYONE.

LOL.

1. No matter what, do not allow what has happened affect you or your beliefs. Individuals do not define God, but most are imperfect broken shards of His reflection trying to glue themselves back together to be more like Yeshua (Jesus), but failing miserably. Including you.


2. Remember that you AREN'T perfect. Try and see what you may have done wrong. Admit that, and work on fixing THAT and CHANGING.


But he gives more grace. Therefore he says, God resists the proud, but gives grace unto the humble. ~ James 4:6


3. Apologize – even if you don't need to.
I'm not saying lie. I'm saying being a peace-maker.


Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord ~ Hebrews 12:14. See also Romans 12:18.

Don't add to the tension by holding on to pride. Just be sorry. “I'm sorry that I (-). I didn't mean to do that to you.”
Don't be haughty when apologizing. Be sincere.


4. It's OK to be right.
Many will respect you for being humble – most know how hard it is ;b. And even if they know that you think you were still in the right, if they see that you are sorry for offending them most will not be so upset.
Or maybe even feel a little convicted. Though don't count on that too much. LOL.
So, don't try to make peace by giving in and admitting something that isn't true.


It might not always work. What then?


Don't become bitter. Don't hate. And don't return the evil by harshly criticizing the person in return.

Yes, you may be right, the other wrong. But sometimes some things just won't and can't ever be proved in this world.

But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect. ~ Matthew 5:48

But you don't have to become ugly with hate or bitterness. You don't have to allow anything to change you or your beliefs in God. And you don't have to join the hypocrisy by allowing what they said to be just like them – closed to the truth of God's love, truth, and righteousness.

Remember that, and even when people tear you down, you can still be whole and full.



O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. ~ Psalm 136:1

Comments

  1. Ah, I have a character I'm working with currently who has a lot of bitterness. Learning to get over herself would be a huge jump forward for her. And, although I don't struggle with bitterness, learning to get over myself is something I need to work on, too. Aidyl from Noveltea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us can use work on "getting over me" ;) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, nice post! It's a really hard thing to balance; like you said when you're wrong, you get over yourself, apologize, and move on (so it's not that easy in practice, but it's less complicated than the alternatives). But when you're right, sometimes it can be really hard to know how to process criticism and proceed. So yeah. Nice post!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Unfortunately the first scenario is almost always the case ;/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth