Skip to main content

A Defense For Small Talk

 "I don't know how to say what I need to say." 

"Let's just chat for a bit then."

And so we did. 

Somehow, for a moment, all deep and difficult things became irrelevant, or at least a bit less serious, as we laughed and appreciated the simple blessings that were ours. In those moments of small talk, all the right things were said. 

If we are honest, I think that deep conversationalists must envy small talkers: can they ever attain the spontaneity and freedom of simply not having to take care of every word? Indeed, all the "real" moments and discussions are but servants of light-hearted joys. 



"Personally, I have a hard time finding friends with which I can have a real conversation," I've heard many say. "I just don't do small talk."

I enjoy provoking, insightful dialogue very much. Obviously, or I wouldn't have this blog. Nor have the comment section open, etc. That being said, I think that small talk can too easily be dismissed as inferior or repulsive. 

I do not enjoy shallowness, complacency, or vulgarity. But is small talk really any of that? 

What do people really mean when they say they "don't do small talk", or that it's just not their thing? Perhaps they are incapable . . . or have never tried, and thus are unaware of the delights that only small talk may offer. 

Why would anyone hate something because it is not the other thing? Just because it is airy and inviting does not mean it is unimportant

* * * 

"Less is more."

I'm not sure what this phrase first implied. A quick google search says it was first in print in Robert Brown's poem "Andrea del Sarto". It does seem to have more artistic connotations than anything, inferring that elegance is most when it is simple. So it goes for architecture, painting, writing (especially short fiction), decorating, and even the rugged beauty of lifestyle. 

And so, why can't we say this is true of even our daily conversations? Need we always have a complicated conversation that uproots every issue to toss it about in the sun for a good? How much fertilizer do we need to be ever adding to our souls and spirits in order to flourish? Does there come a time when "less is more" even in our conversational interactions? 

To be able to not worry over the soil, to just enjoy the plant as it blossoms or withers away into seeds that need no interference for planting. Can we just enjoy a person for the small words that spring to life through their lips?


"Ah! But isn't it windy today?" 

"Sure is. I think I'll go home and make myself a strong cup of Oolong." 

"You like Oolong!?" 

"Yeah! But always it's best with a George Eliot book . . . or any book for that matter."

"Doesn't that sound nice? I hope you enjoy your book and tea."


And what good are the deep conversations of ours, unless they plow fields in which delightful pastimes are more firmly able to thrive? Do not hard things prepare the ground so that better, more beautiful things may abound?

*  *  * 

"Ah," you may say. "But I love long, deep conversations." 

As do I! They are moments that create such long-lasting bonds. Often they spark an acquaintance into a fiery friendship. 

And, oh the joys such friendships give us! When we need not always exert ourselves to speak clearly, deeply, thoroughly in order to understand each other. When we know from tiny mannerisms how that other person is doing and that the best thing for them is not to ask, "How are you" but to show that we care by sitting them on the couch with a plate full of cheesy-baked zucchini slices. And then, because we know they need cheering more than an outpouring (for now), we draw together and speculate whether or not we'd risk touching a dead armadillo in order to make a flower pot out of it. 

Yes, deep conversations have their place. But I think we should be desiring to give them only small slots of energy and time. The art of chit-chatting on and on about the joys and even petty things of life pulls out our human sides as nothing else can. Even deep conversations must be sprinkled throughout with chatting, else it will become dull, listless, boring. 

I believe that small talk is more universally good. It connects even where vocabulary may be scarce. It has the ability to show compassion, liveliness, and awareness with minimal effort (or so it seems, when performed by those who have mastered this art). Those who love "gabbing" know that even the weather is important. Not because it is noncontroversial, but because it involves life. 

For those who seek reform, for those that adore controversy, and for all who desire to see Yeshuah's (Jesus') light spread over Earth; these people ought to be the greatest advocates of small talk. 

Simply put, small talk is an art because it appreciates life. There is no "that's just weather" or "who cares about that? What is your point?

Small talk is the point; it is life upheld; it is God's light shown, even if not verbally articulated. 

* * * 

How to converse in such a manner? Notice small things. And then comment on them.

"I love the colors on your shirt!" 

"Have you been to the new Winco's yet?" 

"Did you notice I'm the only one not wearing black tonight?"

Generic questions are good, too. 

"What have you been reading?" 

"What's the most exciting thing you've done this week?" 

"How are you doing?" (this works as a small talk opening, too, especially as it's a question that often gets brushed over onto other topics)

And then be spontaneous! A lot of people aren't good at this. But just because you aren't doesn't mean you can't become better. Just roll with it. Let the dialogue exchange be free to go all over the place. Don't be flustered when it seems to go nowhere. Be overjoyed and thrilled in moments of diverse, variegated emotions. Don't try to hold onto all the wisps . . . you will be exhausted. Rather admire them for the brief moment they last, then greet the next moment with equal enthusiasm. 

* * * 

I asked someone the other day, "Do you consider small talk inferior to deep conversations?"

"You mean like talking about the weather and such?"

"Yeah."

"Huh. I don't know. What do you think?"

I laughed. "I would almost say that it is superior; that deep conversations cultivate small talk."

Of course, I don't mean to say the deep conversations are irrelevant. And really, they aren't even lesser than small talk. But I do think they are something meant to lead to more, and that more is the enjoyment of life. 

It's like when people talk about "being real". As if that means only to dump out all one's sorrows, anxieties, and fears. As if joy is not real. As if wearing a smile is fake. As if wearing a smile when I feel like crying is lying rather than doing something about how I feel. 

Saying that one prefers deep conversations to small talk to the extent that they'd prefer to never engage in the blathering whims of life is to say that life is only worth talking about when one's soul is being shredded by high-intense, gut-wrenching, spirit-stressed episodic dialogues. 


Do you enjoy small talking? How is the weather where you're at? 




Written 02/07/21


Comments

  1. "Deep conversations cultivate small talk." << I like that. I like that a lot.

    The weather is beautifully overcast in my neck of the woods--very damp and spring-timey. :) (You know Chesterton has a quote somewhere about how great it is to talk about weather? He hails it as democratic, because the weather is something that affects EVERYBODY, and talking about it together is a good reminder that God makes His sun shine and the rain fall on the just and the unjust.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely your weather seems! Chesterton, as always, had just the right thing to say ;D

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree and love this!!! I've noticed that often, the younger generations (including my own) are not good at sustaining small talk for awhile. I'm 35, and love small talk, as well as some deep conversations! On the other hand, the older folks I know, seem much better at this, because maybe they had more practice with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized this same thing after publishing, about elderly people managing small talk quite well! Even though I'm the author, I still have a long ways to go before I'm quite as proficient at chatting like my grandma :D

      Delete
  3. Both are so important. I'm good at carrying a conversation, I have a hard time stopping. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it! You would be so much fun to chat with!

      Delete
  4. (Ohhhhh LOVE the new blog theme!!! and the drawing!!!)

    Running a restaurant, I don't have time for lots of lengthy conversations. But I always try to find time to talk to our customers for a minute or two, even if it's just to ask how they heard about us or where they're from or share some little tidbit of info about the food, weather, or local happenings. Maybe we won't have some life-changing, soul-unburdening conversation, but we can all smile over a joke about the food or agree over how we're all sooooooooo tired of cold and rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Thanks so much!)

      Ohhh, what a great example! I have always thought it would be fun to do such work, to be able to talk to so many people and laugh with so many strangers!

      Delete
  5. I always thought I was terrible at small talk... then as I read your post, I realized, I actually do it all the time! Especially at work (library). Mostly though, I don't talk. I just listen, and then tack on a question when the conversation seems to slow down. And I really have grown some great relationships through that small talk that eventually became a deep and meaningful friendship, where we do occasionally talk about the "serious" things in life. Great post! It made me think about small talk differently and realize how valuable it is and how much I already do!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about your comment it that you already do it! And so well that you're creating community! How sweet! I'm really trying to learn the art of listening. It's so hard, especially when you think you have something to say. But I bite my lip, wait, and find that once I've listened thoroughly, what I had wanted to say is no longer necessary ;D Or slightly altered so it's nicer. I'd love to work at a library. It just seems so pleasant.

      Delete
  6. The weather here is hot and cloudy! I like your insight on "less is more" I know it from architecture, but never corelated to small talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until writing this post I never realized it was first used in the architectural world! Wow! Sounds like those clouds are dripping perspiration rather than rain! We finally have sun here, and it's so very nice

      Delete
  7. Bravo! Great post. I love small talk, it's so much better than just choosing to be quiet when there is nothing deep or serious to talk about. Some conversations that stick in my head are fun snippets of small talk that I have had with strangers I'll never see again. It connects people! I used to think I was bad at it, and while I haven't had much practice in the last year I'm not as bad as I once was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Not as bad as I once was." That is the goal! I really love how those snippets with strangers stick with us ;D Thanks, girl!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth