Skip to main content

Four Pieces Of Luck


I was blessed with a week in which I had nothing demanding my energy. 
So I mostly slept.
I fell asleep in the crowds of family and stranger a like. If there was a bench or a couch or a piece of ground, I laid down. And when I awoke, life said, "I have something for you."

My family and I went to visit a family we'd never met before. I did my best to stay awake and visit for a little while. The children took us on a tour of their woods in the dark. I wore flip-flops and scratched my feet and legs. But grogginess kept me from feeling it all that much. A young boy said, "There's a deep ditch here. Let me help you." He offered a strong hand and I felt rejuvenated by his act of kindness.

We saw fireflies. I laughed. And then I slept.
The next day, as everyone was busy chatting, and I was once more too exhausted to stand, I fell to my knees amidst a bed of clover.

"I've never found a four-leaf clover," I thought to myself. "But now I shall." 
 
After ten minutes I grew tired and gave up, rising from the ground. I walked a little ways, then thought, "What have I given up for? There is nothing else calling me?"

I sat back down. This time by a smaller patch that looked rather wonky.

And there, immediately, I found four little four-leaf clovers right beside one another. I knew if I kept looking I'd find more. But what needed I with more? Leave some to grow, some to be found by others. Not all luck is meant to be mine. 

I jumped up shouting, "I have found FOUR four-leaf clovers."

I showed them off. 

Someone said, "Is that supposed to mean something?" 

I'm not superstitious. Perhaps I just delight in superstitious things? But I couldn't ruin the moment by having them argue with me about how silly this might be. So I said, "No. They mean nothing."

Ah. But they meant everything. They were the highlight of that day. They were my buried treasure. 

It was as if I finally understood something about luck. It happens to those... who patiently persist. You want a blessing? Look for one and grab it and rejoice over it.

Lucky clovers don't fall from the sky. You must fall to your knees and humbly believe and search. 
And now there are four little dried plants laying in my journal. What happy little things they are!

And what do they mean, you may wonder? 

Eh. I don't know. I don't care. They really don't need to mean anything.

Have you ever found a four-leaf clover? 

Comments

  1. I found three 4-leaf clovers in one spot while nannying last spring. I took them home in water so the girls and I could press them...and their dad threw them away. He thought they were the toddler's "flowers" (weeds). I was upset and went back to that spot and found one more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet you found another! How awful he'd throw them away. That is just so sad ;/
      I put these four in my journal and realized recently that one is missing ;/ So now I have three

      Delete
  2. I really like this post, so much thought and wisdom here! My favorite part is the beginning where you talk about finally having the opportunity to rest after a lot of work, and how you leaned into that instead of trying to force yourself to be busy and fill the schedule. And then the line "And when I awoke, life said, "I have something for you."" Sometimes, you do have to persist and to search, like you did for the clovers. But sometimes when you have done your work, and you rest, life offers you a gift in that too.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your thoughtful comment! And love all the little gifts life has been offering these days :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth