Skip to main content

A Letter To Stay-At-Home-Daughters


Dear Girls, Who Secretly Want An Adventure, 

Parents were scared of me when I was a teenager. They feared my quiet mysteriousness. I was really just sullen and shy, but not really at all sly. Sure, I read and had a bit of sass. They heard about the essays my mother would assign as punishment: "Write something on how children should obey their parents." Too gleefully (because I loved writing and loved scripture) I'd quickly hand back a paper that explained why parents shouldn't provoke their children to wrath. 

Homeschooled parents will say they teach their children to be independent thinkers. And yet they feared my independence and creativity. They tried to keep their children far from me. "What if she causes our children to leave home and become like the world?" 

I never would have dreamt of that. They heard about the essays. But what they didn't see was how I quietly loved my chores, loved our ways, loved feminine things and anything old fashioned and clever. Sometimes my friends and I would share our complaints and they would ask, looking around to see if their parents were listening, "What should I do? Should I run away?"

"No. Stay true to what you want to do but find a way to honor your parents."

What these parents didn't see is that I was too independent of a thinker to rashly run away from my problems into other problems. I was determined to fight for what I wanted staying just where I was. I would have my independence and remain under my parents' roof. I would write and find happiness right where I was.  

Some of those parents eventually learned to trust me, and even thank me for my friendship with their children.


Now it is young conservative women who fear me. Those who still remain home, who never fought the battle, but surrendered believing that to fight was to dishonor. They see me traveling and dressing femininely and pursuing a strange sort of delightful life that can be called neither strict nor liberal. Part of them desire to have a similar life of freedom. But the battle they lost screams bitterly and angrily that my way can't be real.

I want to tell these young women that their life doesn't have to consist of drawing thank you cards and reading Janette Oke romances. They can lead (yes lead!) virtuous and wholesome lives that appeal to nature's callings. They can live this life, too, outside of their dreams. They don't have to wait for the glories of eternity to be beautifully arrayed before they taste life. 

There's nothing wrong with wanting marriage, but to waste away waiting for it is some sort of tragedy far beyond healthy. Wholesome dreams aren't found by staying secluded and sheltered. Life and dreams want light. It wants women to be an inspiration, to show men the meaning of beauty and laughter and even of adventure. 

We might want to submit to some man, but men want us to lead them in the ways of Grace, conversation, and delight. 

Maybe you don't fear me as much as believe this just can't be. But it's dualistic either-or thinking to assume that you have to stay home in order to remain pure. Just look and listen. It's more common to hear a girl at home griping and yelling and stubbornly refusing to do something than it is to hear a woman in possession of her wits to let anyone ruffle her feathers over such petty things. 

It is possible to step into fear and do terrifying things and remain a godly woman. I would go as far as to say that you should, and if you aren't it implies that you're living a life of complacency, a form of deceit and pride. 

It is not wrong to face danger as a woman, alone and lively. It is not wrong to be a woman who desires. It is not wrong to desire, to do, to be rewarded. 

We need more prophetess and priestesses out here spreading light and sprinkling salt. Do not fear me. Face your fears and delight in the Lord... His ways are beyond imaginings. They are GOOD and alive and new.

If you are a stay-at-home daughter, ask yourself if God really wants you to be at home or if you're scared to try something new and better. You don't have to reject your skirts and traditions to step outside your door. You can travel safely and live vivaciously and smartly

Leave the stuffy air of your bedroom, end this epidemic, and show feminists that God makes worthy women strong women, too. 
Remain sweet, be wild. 
Do something scary and meaningful. 
Leave behind girlhood and become a woman! 

Sincerely, 
Keturah  



Comments

  1. Thank you, Keturah.

    I don't think I am exactly the person you wrote this essay for. I've been in and out of my parents' house these last five years, pursuing an education and getting caught up in crises that weren't mine. When I returned several months ago, I thought I would be back for at least a few years.

    But sometime in the last month, after a few pivotal conversations, I woke up and wondered what I was still doing here. I'm not a quick-acting person, so since then I have been slowly making plans to step out sometime over 2023. It's not an easy thing for me, to plan one thing and then choose another, more difficult path. Especially after I was pushed back and forth, to live in different places, by forces outside my control.

    It's encouraging to hear your call to action and adventure, even if the reasons I am still at home are different than the reasons of those you write to.

    Is any reason to stay home really that different, though? Many of them come down to fear or complacency, perhaps.

    Anyway, thank you for the encouraging call to get up and do what I must do. Perhaps even find more adventures along the way.

    Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely response, Elizabeth! You're so right to boil it down to the salt: we mustn't stew in fear and complacency. I love that you're pushing yourself to something beyond your plans and finding the life you're supposed to be living! It'll never be less terrifying but will certainly become vividly more liberating!

      Delete
  2. Amen to this, Keturah. (I am no longer a girl--and when I was a girl, contentment was something I needed to learn and grow to understand--but contentment is not the only virtue and this post articulates something I've recently been figuring out. And it's kind of really important. Like, imagine if when Jesus called the disciples, they were like, "that sounds nice, but I'm pretty sure my God-given duty is to reject all calls to greater ministry in order to practice contentment among my fish-nets"?? and it can be an especially confusing thing for young women in the church. So just, bless you for writing this.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! that is such a great point.. there is a time to fill the fish nets, and there is a time to visit land and seas elsewhere :) Contentment must never be an excuse for complacency

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for writing this! I think you very eloquently put into words something that a lot of conservative girls struggle with. Being a woman can be so wonderful, liberating, and joyful if only we step into the freedom Christ gives us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comment, Eliora! You are so right. Glad to see that freedom shining in you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth