Skip to main content

My Uncle Amoz

Uncle Amoz and me when I was first born.



This spring one of my uncles died. It was very sad, and the circumstances of his death were crazy. 
He was too young - it shouldn't have happened.

All of us were shocked. Many were angry.

Many still are.

It's crazy how death makes life appear so differently. Especially when death happens to someone you know.

What's even sadder... I wasn't able to go to his funeral because I was traveling and too far away to catch a ride with anyone that was going.

This post, though, is not going to dwell on the circumstances of his death. 

It's going to be more about him.

I never liked to do favorites. I always told people it was wrong to have favorites... at the same time I had them ;) But to be fair I would try to make sure my siblings would have different favorites than I did.

Such as...

Me to my sisters: My favorite color  is pink. What are yours?
Sisters: I don't know.
Me to Jerushah: You can like orange and yellow.
Me to Beckah Jo: You can like purple.
Me: And my color is pink.

The crazy thing? Those were our favorite colors for years after... ;p

I did the same things with our aunts and uncles... to makes things fair ;) 


I guess this was back in the days when it was "cool" for guys to bleach their hair ;) 


   
Uncle Amoz was always a favorite uncle of mine (on Dad's side). 

He was handsome (one time I thought I'd marry him when I grew up). He had an awesome motorcycle. His hair was always crazy. He was fun - and nice.

My favorite memory involves him.

I was about 7 or 8. At the time there were only three of us siblings, and my mom was expecting my brother Jesse.

Uncle Amoz was living with us, and he'd turned our playhouse into his storage shed.

I have always been very organized and all about getting things done. 

One day I said to Jonny and Ruie (Jerushah), "We should take our play house back!"

"I don't know if that's a good idea," they said cautiously. 

"Of course it is! We'll never get it back unless we take it back. It's ours anyways."

It wasn't hard to persuade them. 

The three of us went to the blue shed Dad had given us. And we cleaned house. Boxes, bags, crates. All were overturned and sorted through. Almost everything flew out the windows - clothes, papers, tools, and other junk.

I let my brother, my sister, and me keep a few things that looked nice - things our uncle surely wouldn't miss.

We spent most of our afternoon reclaiming our place. And when we finished we had an amazing feeling of accomplishment - a clean playhouse surrounded by piles of unwanted things.

But, oh my! Wasn't Uncle Amoz mad when he got home!

"What did you kids do?"

We were all a bit timid... but not enough so to let him put the things back inside our play house.

He saw the things we kept... I had a small tool kit and a picture of myself.

"These are my things. You can't have them," he told me.

"Can't I have the picture?" I argued.

"Fine." That's all he'd let me keep... a picture of me.

He gathered up his things... we never saw them again. And we were fine with that... and as we got older we loved to tell the story as an example of what we kids were capable of ;) 

Of how we kept our play house.

Oh... people sometimes wonder where Mom was.... she was inside laughing on the phone to Grandma, too pregnant and tired to stop us as she watched from a window.



As I've grown older and we've moved a lot I didn't see much of my uncle when I was older. But I've always considered him a favorite. I really do wish sometimes I'd known him better... but I am happy for the memories I do have.

And I hope that he is in Heaven with Yahweh - what we all call God. 

Life is a crazy thing. But memories are beautiful, even in death. 

And I'm glad I have those :) 

Comments

  1. This is so sweet, I'm so sorry for your loss. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It's already been so long... I've accepted it. But I still have family members that need prayer. I more just wrote this post because I wanted to remember him.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for your loss. I'm happy you've been able to make peace with it. I know it can be hard. Its nice you did a post to remember him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss! How did he pass away of I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The situation was uncertain. He was shot, and it's assumed he committed suicide.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I am so sorry to hear that!

      Delete
    3. Yes, it was very sudden and still sad ;/ I would rather hope it was an accident. But who knows?

      Delete
    4. I hope so too. It seems like now days unless there is there is an actual witness it is almost always ruled possible suicide.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth