Skip to main content

What's Happening Here

Hey, everybody, how are you all? Life has been crazy busy here. And a lot has been going on.
I have a really good friend that just got married (post on her wedding will come soon), and I'm in Tennessee now volunteering at a place that does the Above Rubies magazine.


So, yes, life has been very hectic! Getting ready was lots of work. I had to catch up with all of my house cleaning jobs, custom sewing, and mending - and my sewing and mending, all the books I was reading, and of course pack.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

One of the sewing projects I did, before I left. Originally I wasn't going to put lace on it, but as the first picture shows, one of my little siblings took a pair of scissors to one of the skirts. So I cut off the ruined fabric, and added lace... I'm so glad they hadn't touched the bodice!

I also wanted to sell four of my 8 goats, but that didn't end up working out.

The trip was halfway long.

My friends wedding was on the eighth. I was supposed to be her bridesmaid, so we had to get there on time. We left out Tuesday morning, but had shopping and errands, so we only made it three hours away from home (which was according to plans).

Wednesday had more errands, which didn't let us leave till 4pm. Not really according to plans. But ok still.

Thursday and Friday were both long days of driving. Very long! I nagged my Dad the whole way, not wanting to ever stop. :) But we got there in time - 11pm Friday night.

Traveling with 11 of us kids was hectic like usual. :b So much going on! One thing that was funny - mom went into Wal-Mart and left the little ones playing in some grass in the parking lot. We older ones were still in the van - supposed to be watching the little ones. One of my siblings looked out of the window, then shouted and ran out. My 7-year old brother had tied himself to a tree! He was just out there, smiling mischievously, waiting to see who'd notice.

Then my two year old sister put a wad of sticky playdough in her hair. That was hard to get out!

Besides driving, we also had to knit. Mom had promised someone 13 pairs of mittens. So, she and I were knitting those the entire time, and I also did the beading on all 13 pairs. We finished the last bit Monday, with just a little bit of knitting on one pair of mittens left for Mom.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The mittens I knitted.






The next day was the wedding. I caught up with my friend, helped with preparations, and all that stuff.

We left Sunday, heading for the place I'm volunteering at. That night we stayed in Nashville/Franklin (I can't remember what town it was :b), and we went out to eat and see a movie (The Book of Life). That was all fun :b

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Look at his ice cream cone!



The next day we came to the place I'm at now. Soon after we got here my family left, and I started in with the work (office work). So far, I've done mostly office work, addressed magazines, packaged books and DVD's, and put designs on the Blessed T-shirts.

It's pretty fun here. The people are all nice, and there are several girls here my age. Since I've been here, I've got to visit with them a bit. We went out for a movie one night, and a Bible study on another.

I'll be here about two months. I have lots to get used to, but it'll be fun :b And I'll try and keep my blog updated :D


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


And here is something new that Above Rubies just came out with! The lady that does these shirts drew all of the people (she's also the illustrator for Trim Healthy Mama). I'm learning to put the designs on the shirts and it is really fun! When we get an order in, we have to find all of the little people, line them up, and put them in this iron-thing that looks like a big pancake maker - this sets the design in. Then the shirt has to be packaged, and sent off!

Comments

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth