Skip to main content

Day Four of A Look into the Average Every Day Life of Keturah

It's getting to be that time where I need a little more sleep than usual. Once more I didn't open my eyes until nearly 5:30, and then I lazed a good twenty minutes on Twitter. 

I sit on my "dog-mattress" bed, stare at my dresses, books, and journals and think, "I'm a minimalist with a lot of material wealth." 

I went for a glass of water, then read the last few chapters of Nehemiah. Something about singers and lots of names. I read a few chapters of Adeel's novel, then practiced French. 

In this way much of the morning passed. At last I went outside and started my car. While the windshield defrosted I made breakfast... scrambled eggs, put three pieces of bacon and a slice of onion into the oven on broil, then hung up my wet laundry on the drying rack. 

When I returned the onion was good, but the bacon black. I'll eat it anyway. I only ate one piece. 

I fed my sourdough, took vitamins, dressed, and washed some dishes. I made tea: a large thermos with two Oolong bags, some stevia, and a scoop of collagen. I fixed my egg burrito then grabbed my purse and all the things that belong in a purse.

What belongs in a purse? 

A book, a notebook, chopsticks, tissues, cards, wallet, ear buds, and more. Tberes a other small pocket full of chapstick and essential oils. 

I took my food out to my car because I was out of time. 
(I accidentally baked the tortilla a bit too long, too)

I have a forty minute drive to work. I plug my phone in to the cigarette lighter, eat my breakfast, and listen to old music on 94.7 and thinking. I enjoy my car rides where I may smile as much as I like and laugh at my thoughts and things people have said and dream about things people shall say. 

Today I had some especial enjoyable thoughts, one I meant to share here, and explore further. But... I can't remember what it was! 

I arrived to work with a full stomach and fully charged phone! 

Today was my sewing day. And there were piles to be done! 

There's good music there, too, better even than my car radio. I like the people I work with. It's all well organized and I feel I'm learning a lot. I've also been given the freedom to just be brave and try things. 

Today's bravery: tapering pants. Two pair! 

Halfway through the day I take off my shoes. How did I have them on so long? 

I hemmed lots! Mended a few sweaters. Moved the waist on a dress. And such. 

I learned to use a serger and blind hemmer. I put sticky note with questions on repairs that stumped me. The guy I work with sat on his register counter. Only good souls do that, right? We argued over whether a pair of dress pants were grey or brown. 

I lifted up my cashmere sleeve. "This is brown!"

"That is a very chocolate brown."

Who was right? Do we ever know who is right? 

(When it comes to colors girls are usually always right).

Sewing and I have a weird relationship. I'm decent at it. I think. But it does something to my brain that I don't quite like. But then I do love what happens when I'm done sewing. 

Magic happens. 

I remember what I was going to say. Let's just insert it now!!

Pockets. It's all about pockets. You see, the thought started when I put on a down vest as I left the house, my dark brown wool shirt not quite warm enough for today. 

Ah. It has pockets. I don't have to starve today. I can fill my pockets with Brazilian nuts. 

That's when I finally realize just why it's a crime for women's clothes to not have pockets. Also, if a women is angry just see if she has pockets. No pockets? Ah, there you go. She had no place to keep food to scare away the demons that try and live in all women's pockets. 

If you have any say in a woman's life make sure she always has pockets, and doubly make sure those pockets are filled with nuts. She won't be berating you randomly and irrationally anymore of you guarantee this one thing.
I quit around 5pm and drove straight home, eating the sourdough I'd packed in my purse. 

A client called me. The phone call freaked me out at first because the number is still programmed in the wife's number, and she's been dead a couple years... I hardly clean for him anymore. 
Have any openings this week? How would Friday morning work? Great, see you then. 

I don't have cell service at my house, so I checked to see if must reply to any texts before reaching home. I drank some of my tea, still hot. 

Home.

I grabbed a bowl of granola and ate a pomegranate, cleaned up the kitchen some, and got in a small war of wills with my little sister. Guess neither of us ate enough nuts. I won all the same. 

I started hemming the lining of my ball gown. A friend texted, and so we chatted and I hemmed, and away the evening driften into sweet places. 

Jacob came over and played piano for awhile. Bekah Jo left to visit with the Mormon boys over at Mom's house. 

I made a bowl of noodles and chose a pair of metal chopsticks. 

I finished hemming the lining. I'll do the rest another day. 

It's nearly 9:30. I shall journal. I want to think about another thought: 

How we call people hypocrites, in essence accusing them of not being themselves. But more often than not we say this to people we don't know well. Or we have neglected to see them and hear what we say. Nevertheless we have the gall to call them a hypocrite. 

"You aren't doing as you say." Have we heard what they say, or watched enough of them to truly understand their message?

"You aren't being you." So we know this person well enough to know this? 

I'm thinking only friends should call friends hypocrites so that they might remind their friend of who they are. But anyone else? If you don't know them, you don't know if they are a hypocrite. Let them be. 

And now I might read a bit, too. 

This is part of a series requested by Melissa to share what my life looks the week leading up to Christmas. 



Comments

  1. About that client.
    There is no way one can deal with that freakin' out moment but plunging into it , and I know it can be unexplainably difficult to even think about entering in a cave all yourself, and sometimes among people who are humbled by the infinity of fear. Know more about it.


    Reading is a phenomenal use of breaths we are blessed with and a very productive use of life.

    Sewing takes patience, persistence, problem identification and solution, and a lot more of an intelligent human being.

    You are a beautiful soul. I wish you all the best and life full of light and brilliance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such talent as a writer. Despite being a stranger to you, I found your life so interesting! Made me wonder about my own days and how they might be less boring to others than I thought, lol. I love seeing how others live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have a fascination with the beauty of the lives of others. That’s why I asked Keturah to do this with me.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, I shall have to check out yours! This was a great idea!

      Delete
    3. Hello! Thanks for visiting and for commenting. This challenge has been really fun for me, too!! I've enjoyed it a lot, and has helped me see just how much I love life :)

      If you ever do, send me your link :)

      Delete
    4. If you click on my name at the bottom of each blog post it will take you to mine!

      Delete
    5. Actually here is the direct link: https://www.wattpad.com/1167154481?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=link&utm_content=share_reading&wp_page=reading_part_end&wp_uname=nightwraith17&wp_originator=%2FoZ%2F3hApipNx%2BSzuuBShAFz5YGt%2Fw4DmMXOQumrQlmAhBwfGJHGJd0wtnxZ%2Fu6nziNe3%2FVKUzj%2BSPj0gIiEPThJH%2BNMoYOqjMzcYrIle6u%2BBSRXnwwYHmDn1L8FK34Dc

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth