Skip to main content

Day Three of A Look into the Average Every Day Life of Keturah

I had weird dreams last night. It was like I was watching a horror movie. Very gruesome. But not scary. I just remember thinking, "This is stupid. Why am I dreaming this?" 

I awake around 5am, grab my phone and groan. No messages from clients, but other messages I should reply to. But... I am so tired! I notice that the wifi isn't working on my phone.

Huh. Maybe a snow storm messed with stuff. Or the electricity is off? 

Doesn't matter. I want a little more sleep.

I awake once more a little after 8am. That's sleeping late for me. I must have really needed it. I check my phone. Still off. Then I laugh at myself. In my earlier stupor I'd somehow turned it off myself. 

I move to the livingroom, choose my green couch, and cuddle up to practice French and scroll Twitter. The morning feels so late, and I am moving slooooww.

I make myself get up and move around. Make breakfast, changed out of my nightgown and brush my teeth, feed my sourdough, then take various vitamins good for this weather. 

Jonny comes over and asks for peanut butter. He does his best to be annoying, banging at my door and speaking in obnoxious tones. Says his girlfriend loves it. 

"She doesn't like it." 

I give him the peanut butter, tell him to bring it back right away.

What to do today? 

Part of me wants to write. But I also don't want to spend another day behind a screen. But... I could open my novel. I really want to open my novel. 

No. My eyes know better. There will be time later this week, I promise myself. Today I will sew. 

First I text my little brother, asking him to come over. Josiah is prompt.

"Can you mail this birthday card for me?"

"Yeah. I need to go to the post office anyway."

I rip some things apart I don't like, and then design my first complex bodice pattern.

I spend a lot of time searching for my measuring tape 😂
It is a little scary, but once I start drawing on my wool certainty fills me. I can do this. It is looking just as it ought. 

And then I sew it together!! 
(This all takes several hours)
I break from sewing at this stage when I realized all is looking excellent. I slip into houseslippers and run over to Mom's house to show off what I've done, and to borrow her phone (mine doesn't have wifi calling).

Mom asks me why I'm not working today. I tell her my client canceled. She asks if I know where Bekah Jo went today. I say I don't. 

Coming back inside I notice a bowl my sister has for feeding cats sitting right outside my door. I pick it up and throw it away. Later I'll tell her I'll give the cats away if she feeds them by the door again. (I don't make empty threats)

I had a toll bill from New York to pay. Thats why I took Mom's phone. But then I realize there is a bar code I could scan. I pay the bill, then return the phone at once. 

I only eat chocolate when I'm happy. It's been a happy day, a happy week. I open a new package of chocolate then return to my sewing.

I turn on an audio book by Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse.

Friends text. I respond kinda and keep an eye on business stuff. I thought about going for a walk. But there was lots of wind and little sun. When the sun shines for a moment.

I use some wooden buttons I found from Germany.

I eat an Asian pear.

I find a use for a pink stepstool I've had standing around... on a short roadtrip I found it at a thriftstore for $1, it was pink, so worth the space! 
 
I sew on sleeves I'd patched days ago.
Then try on the pieces together to see if my idea is working out... 
There's still a lot left! But the hardest parts are behind me! Another couple days and this will be the most beautiful wool dress ever dreamt! 

I call Jerushah to come over through FB messenger, my main way of calling people when I'm home.

"Isn't my dress nice?"

"Yeah."

She plops on my yellow couch. As I put away the wool stuff, I ask her if she wants to help me clean up. No comment.

It's nearly 4pm by this time and the sun hasn't shed any glory. I decide to go out for a brisk walk anyway.

Once back I turn on the bathtub, then sit on the heater vent and read several chapters of Adeel's book. The tub is only half full. I give my livingroom and bathroom a good cleaning, and organize the children's book shelf.
I ask Josiah to come over. I'd found some of his things laying around, and also wanted him to take my trash out. He takes it all out. 

It's nearly 7pm now and the bathtub is finally full. I throw a load of towels into the washer and disappear to the tub. 

When I exit several of my siblings are over. 

Jesse asks for an advil. "Why would I have an advil!?" I've never had any sort of drug ever, except coffee. I tell him to drink some water so he does. 

I ask him and the others if they want to wash dishes. "No. We are going to a friend's house."

They leave. I read a chapter of Growth of the Soil and waste a few moments on social media, all on my yellow couch. 

After a bit I get up and put away the laundry on the drying rack in preparation for when the washer is done. 

My dad comes over looking for plumbing parts.

Jonah comes over to find mayoness from the basement. I holler after him to leave his snowboots at the door. 

Keziah asks where Mom is at. I don't know. 
It's nearly 8:30 now. 
I shall do a bit more cleaning up around here, focusing on the kitchen. I'm missing an ear pod, so hope to find that. 

Then I'll journal, and figure out if I have time for anything else before bed.

I just remembered where I put my green ear piece. On the piano near the mirror, when I was modeling my bodice! 

Tchüss!!

This is part of a series requested by Melissa to share what my life looks the week leading up to Christmas. 

Comments

  1. This has been such an interesting series to read!! And that bodice looks like it turned out beautiful!


    Alexa
    alexa-thusfar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexa!! I need to get a post of the finished dress up soon.... ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth