Skip to main content

Day Two of A Look into the Average Every Day Life of Keturah




Hey.

It's day two of a normal day. Meaning who knows what will happen. Hopefully something gets done.

My room has two vents. I sleep on the floor on Japanese mat called Shiki Buton. My sister Jerushah calls it a dog bed. Because of being on the floor between two heater vents my room can sometimes feel like a sauna even as the rest of my house is ice cold. 

I wake up sweating a little before 5am dying for a glass of water. But I don't want to stand up. So I read two more sections of Adeel's middle East mythological novel. I'm enjoying it. 

When I came to a good stopping point I studied some French. Little would I know... later in my day that French would come in handy.

I finally got up and moved to my livingroom. Angela left early this morning for her next destination.

I have four couches. So when there isn't company I have choices!! I chose the far end of the blue couch, because there were blankets to cuddle under. 

I wondered, what church should I attend? I'd planned on being in Idaho, remember? So the plan had been to visit a friend's church up there. Now there were so many options. 

I fixed myself a bowl of granola and got back under the blankets and turned on my laptop.

I could go to a little home fellowship I love. But something was pulling me to visit my old church. Last night my sister said she might go with me. I call her. But she doesn't answer.

Oh. Well. She'll come if she remembers. If not...

I begin writing a blog post I've been meaning to write for weeks. About my time in NYC. It's very hard for me to put life on the page so long after the fact, so it was gruesome work. 

But I'd decided I wouldn't go to church now. I was cozy. My article was coming along! And then Jerushah walks in all ready for church. 

"Oh. I thought we weren't going anymore."

"I said last night I would go with you."

"Normally you forget," I said. "I need to get dressed."

In ten minutes I looked and smelled nice enough for church. A couple of my I there siblings decided to come. I grabbed two old Nancy Drew books for my friend and hurried out the door, dragging my sparkly green phone charger with me.

 
Yesterday I said I'm never late.
We were late today.

We entered the Sunday school room, it was dark with a bright screen. As we found seats I recognized faces I hadn't seen in months and smiled. It was good to be here a moment. 

The young guy teaching the class asked for three volunteers.

"What we volunteering for?" Some other guy asked.

He pulled up Tim Hawkins wife song. "I need three people to write what they think this video is about in two sentences."

Since I hadn't been there in awhile I felt I should volunteer. Besides no one was. 

We watched the music video. 

Guess mine was the longest and made people laugh. 

But another guy said, "An educational video." And people once more laughed. 

Church was pleasant. I caught up with all my favorite people. I forgot to bring embroidery, so I scribbled on paper. 

I gave my friend the old Nancy Drew books. She recommended the Fin's Revolution audiobook... I found them! 

At home I thought, I need a nap. 

Instead I turned on my bathtub (it takes an hour to fill up because of poor water pressure) and I ate another bowl of granola and finished up my blog post. Y'all will see it sometime in January.

Then I warmed up in a hot bath, plastered bentonite clay all over my face and neck, and read a good portion of Growth of the Soil.

When that was done, I had many little things to do. Make the card for the gal in prison. ✔ Check around on couch surfing for a family in Yakima to stay with while I'm at the Orthodox Ball. I reached out to three people. ✔ and figure out my cleaning schedule for this week ✔ 

Because of weather tomorrow's client canceled. So I contacted another woman. Haven't heard back from her. Have no idea if I'm cleaning tomorrow or staying home. 

Once that was all done up, I heated up some leftovers and had a decent dinner. Then washed piles of dishes from yesterday's company, and straightened up my house. I finished off the almond milk eggnog and a large persimmon. 

I scrolled Twitter and needed some French. 
And my first 14 year old self controversial idea finding a home: 


I spent some of the evening chatting with my friend about a developing theory of mine and finished embroidering my wool ruffle. 


There's a lot more to this, where pretty much a dozen or more people disagree with my theory. All fun though. You can read the chat here

I need to ignore that debate not and get to bed so I am ready for whatever tomorrow requires of me. 

This is part of a series requested by Melissa to share what my life looks the week leading up to Christmas. 

Comments

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth