Skip to main content

NaNo Special: Wip Tag Week One


Introduce the story: blurb, maybe a cover or anything else!
ALL THE OTHER GIRLS: Childhood friends, Zilla and Cinderella's friendship is threatened after they attend a certain ball . . . 
Where did you get the idea for your story?  What came to you first: your theme, character, premise, setting, etc?
I clean houses in the day. Normally I listen to podcasts while I clean, but on this certain day I chose not to. And I started thinking about my first story that's now published. I thought about how I used to write so many short stories and how I still love writing short stories. I thought how many people would have drug Unerella into a novel. But then I realized . . . this could be a novel. And like that nearly all of a plot came to my mind. If you'd like the story behind the original short story, check out this interview. 
What have you done to get experience for your story (like watching knitting YouTube videos)?  
I have never watched knitting YouTube videos, but I could maybe make them ;) I love knitting! But as for ALL THE OTHER GIRLS . . . It's fairytale/ fantasy. It's based on a the what if question, What if you aren't Cinderella, does that make you a stepsister? I googled names on baby websites, finding names that held meaning according my characters personalities. Besides that, I've done nothing. 
What did you put into the book because it’s something you know about (like if you’re a martial artist, and put that in)?
Cleaning and sewing stuff will both be in this book. And relationships. But that's not unique to any of my books. Relationships are a huge part of my life (family, friends, guys, and all that drama). So I like to write about it. But this one will mostly focus on the best friend relationship between two young girls.
What made you decide to write this particular book for NaNoWriMo?
The plot bombarded me about two months ago. I wasn't planning on doing NaNo because I'm in the middle of rewrites for A SERIES OF THOUGHTS. But I really wanted to write this story. So I did some math, realized I can still finish my rewrites in good time, and decided to allow myself to write ALL THE OTHER GIRLS in November. 
Do you research before, after, or during your first draft writing process?
I like to think I research before, but normally I'll be writing and realize, "I know nothing about this." I'll take notes to research that later, then keep writing. Oftentimes I'll research those notes after the end of draft one and then incorporate my "knowledge" into draft two.  
Have you done any research for this particular book? How do you usually research?
I think I've already answered these two questions in the previous ones, but I'll add that most of my research happens through encyclopedias, dictionaries, baby name books, googling, and other books I check out from the library. Just depends what I need and how much I need.
Do you plot or plan your book in any way before you start writing? What methods do you usually use and what did you do this time? I'm a pantser, but I know my story before I write. Or at least know a decent amount of it. For this book, I know my characters, I know how the story ends and most of how it goes. The only things I wrote down were my character names and the first line of the book. And I know I plan to write it in third person, present tense. 


Do you hand write or type your first draft?
Type, because I'm too lazy to type up all my words afterward. I like the idea of handwriting best. 
Do you have a brainstorming buddy and if you do, who was it this time and how did they help?
I mean, I talk to all my friends about my stories, but Lauren hears the most about what's happening with my stories. 
How did you come up with your characters’ names?
Cinderella's name was a give in ;) For every one else's names I googled "names that mean —" and found names I liked and were pronounceable. For Cinderella's family I used evil biblical women names that sound pretty. For Zilla's cousins I used German boy names. The prince's name means charming or dashing. Zilla's aunt's and uncle's names literally mean aunt and uncle. 
Do you know what your story's theme is? If you do, how did you find it, and if you don't, how do you plan to find it?
I have several themes. 
Fire. 
Friendship. 
Choosing to love even when you've been burned. 
Finding new dreams even after your old ones have been crushed. 
This story is mostly about a young girl learning that life is terrible for everyone, but she can still find contentment, and she doesn't need anyone or any place or circumstance to make this happen. 




Would you like to friend me on NaNo? My name is Keturah Lamb, as always ;) 


Check out all these fun blogs to follow along with the NaNo fun. We are posting about our NaNo novels every Friday of November! 

Jules @ Saver of Memories (The Creator)
Ceci @ Ceci Creates
Lisa @ Inkwell
Julia @ Lit Aflame
Melissa @ Quill Pen Writer
Brooklyne @ Showers of Blessings
Keturah @ Keturah’s Korner


So, what do you think? Does this sound like a book you'd read? And are you doing NaNo this year? If so, what are you writing? 



Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Comments

  1. This sounds interesting! Good luck with NaNo! I'm not doing NaNo but I will be writing alongside you guys. I know it sounds stupid but still xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hey, that doesn't sound stupid at all! Writing is always good, no matter the path that works for you :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your nano novel!!! You can do this! Your book sounds cool! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, this sounds so cool! Good luck in NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!! So far the two days have been amazing, despite it being the end of a work week ;D

      Delete
  4. Love the sound of this, and the cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thanks! I designed it using UnSplash and Canva, then a filter from my laptop. I'm quite happy with how it turned out myself as I'm not really a cover designer ;D

      Delete
  5. I love the themes! I cannot wait to read more about this book. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gray! I'll admit the themes are what have me excited about this book ;)

      Delete
  6. "I have no idea about this topic... mOVING ON." That happens to me too. xD

    I like the idea of looking into characters who aren't the typical MC - since every other girl at Cinderella's ball was, presumably, also hoping to marry the prince. I look forward to reading more about your WIP, Keturah!
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I so love telling this story from a new perspective ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Meeep, this story sounds really cool Keturah!! Nothing like taking a classic tale and turning it on it's head :) I love the cover as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! I totally agree — it's fun making an old story fresh ;)

      Delete
  8. Wow, this is really neat!! I especially love the cover!!! Cinderella is one of the few Disney princess movies I remember watching as little girl. The theme of your book sounds great as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Something so funny — I don't really like the Cinderella story that much. But I keep retelling it! I'm so happy I've discovered unsplash and Canva. It's really helped me with designing images ;D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth