Skip to main content

NaNo Wip: The Main Character

Introduce your MC a little (name, maybe a description or picture, etc,) and tell us something quirky about them. 
Zilla is sixteen years old. Her left leg is deformed. The right side of her body is wrinkled by scars that peak through up her neck. She lives with her aunt and uncle and six rambunctious boy cousins. She dreams of a better life, one where fire and poverty don't haunt her every waking moment . . . 

What does your MC value the most? 
Zilla doesn't know what she values, only what she hates. And she hates most of her life. Except for her best friend, Cinderella . . . but she might not realize this until too late. 

What is your MC’s wildest dream? What is their greatest fear? Zilla's wildest dream is to be always clean and to be noble and happy. Her greatest fear is fire. 

What is your MC’s favorite food? Can they cook? 
Of course she can cook! The majority of Zilla's life has been spent cooking, cleaning, and mending and helping her aunt take care of their home. As for favorite food — I don't think Zilla thinks about that much. Unless it's that food in her current life is always disgusting and all the good food is to be had at the ball. Or maybe I'll have her like pumpkins? We'll see ;D 

What do you (the writer) have in common with the MC? What do you not have in common? 
Anything I have in common with Zilla is probably all behind me. I once had dreams that were crushed. I once viewed life as unending misery. Unlike Zilla, I did not have a best friend to help me get through most of it the first time round. I don't have scars like Zilla. And Zilla and I look nothing a like. Zilla and I both hate sewing but are quite good at it. What lie does your MC believe about himself/the world? Zilla believes that life can't be good now, that happiness it to be had once her dreams are made true. 

Who is their best friend and why? 
Cinderella has always been her best friend, but their friendship only strengthened after both of their fathers died in a fire years ago. 

What song best describes them in this book? 
Good question. For the first time writing a novel I've been listening to a lot of so soundtrack-like music (yes, I'm one of those people who normally listen to lyrical music while writing or nothing at all). I don't have a specific one picked out, so here's the song I'm currently listening to: 




What is their personality type? 
Wow, I don't usually type my characters though I'm kinda into Myers Briggs. Let's just guess . . . she's probably definitely extroverted, though moody. Though I could be wrong? She doesn't like being touched, I've noticed, though she puts up with it from Cinderella. She's not really about facts. So she's probably intuitive. Definitely a feeler. Definitely a planner. So, ENFJ? Let me go research that type and see if it fits . . . 
. . . yeah, I think ENFJ is a good enough guess. Though she could be INFF or even an S. 

Why should your readers care about this person? 
Because many people will relate to Zilla. Her life isn't pleasant. It's hard to smile. But she still dreams. Until she no longer can. And then she bleeds — and who hates a person bleeding? I think mostly, people will see glimpses of themselves in Zilla though as she struggles to find a new dream.

PARTICIPANTS:
Jules @ Saver of Memories (The Creator)
Ceci @ Ceci Creates
Lisa @ Inkwell
Julia @ Lit Aflame
Melissa @ Quill Pen Writer
Brooklyne @ Showers of Blessings
Keturah @ Keturah’s Korner
Sarah @ Pen of a Ready Writer


Tell me, what do you think of Zilla? 

Do you see anything likable in her, despite all the darkness she feels? 

So far my current NaNo word count as of today is: 15,119 words!

How's writing going for you?


Comments

  1. Poor Zilla. Yeah, we all have dreams that get smashed and sometimes we feel like everything is just going WRONG. Hopefully she'll show us a way to keep dreaming.

    NaNo is going well. I was keeping on top of my daily word goals, until last night, but that's just because we had company over and watched a movie. Since I write in the evenings, if stuff like that happens, I simply just don't have time to write.

    But we're going out with the company to hear the last lecture from colloquium, so I hope to write in the car and get ahead again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope - to show that some dreams may die only so that others might be born ;)

      I'm glad it's going great for you — and don't feel bad about being a little behind. I'm sure you'll catch up. Even so, people are more important and I'm glad you're having fun with them.

      Lecture from colloquium? I'm not sure I know what you mean ;) What's it all about? But yay for driving time!

      Delete
    2. The colloquium is for the FCC denomination. It's when all the ministers and elders get together for a presbytery, discuss issues in the church, preach about current topics, and the like. Anyone can go to the preaching, though there are "closed sessions" for only pastors/elders. But we like to go, and listen to some of the pastors and meet people who've come for it.

      Delete
  2. Aw, man, Zilla sounds so nice! Pity that all those bad things happen to her . . . but hey, hopefully she’ll come out of it stronger! She sounds so unique, as well!

    And WOW, that word count is great! Congrats, Keturah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That's why I love writing stories full of hardships - I love the beauty uncovered in the end. I really hope Zilla comes out stronger, too ;)

      And thanks! I'm a tiny bit afraid this book won't be a novel though. I'm so used to writing novellas and short stories that this one has me worried. And I'm a pantser, so who knows what will happen???

      Delete
  3. Oh, I like the idea of having to find a new dream. That's a tough challenge that I think a lot of people face. It's hard when your heart is set on one thing and it ends up not working out. I'll be interested in seeing what she learns through the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor thing! She sounds like an interesting protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your themes and your protagonist fits them well :) Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I've listened to that soundtrack while writing as well! ^_^

    Your character sounds so interesting. :DD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zilla sounds like an amazing character. And your book sounds so powerful just through what you've shared about your protagonist.
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Your comment is just what I needed today. This novel has been one of my hardest to write (NaNo wise). The message is sooooo hard to show.

      Delete
  8. Scars from a fire + her father died in [presumably the same] one? personally I would be emotionally immobilized for a very long time... poor Zilla. (but she still dreams/gets a new dream, so she must be a strong character!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sounds like such a fantastic MC! And I love that it's a new take on Cinderella; that sounds so exciting.

    Waves! That is a beautiful song. Absolutely adore it <3


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexa! I'm so excited to return to this novel in a few months. Second drafts are even more exciting, haha ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth