Skip to main content

NANO WIP: All The Lovely Side Characters And Where They Live

List your SC’s, state one of their main hobbies, and tell us how they influence your MC in the story.
Aunt Eme, Zilla's strict aunt who loves Cinderella very much. She has six young boys — Zilla's cousins — and keeps Zilla very busy with chores. She doesn't approve of Zilla's going to the ball, but won't stop her from wasting her money.
Uncle Avus, a farmer who spoils Cinderella when he can.
Prince Dashel, the man who is Zilla is sure will save her from her miserable life.
Khalon, a poor soldier determined to make Zilla forget her dreams of a better life.
Imra, the daughter of one of the richest men in the kingdom and a girl who befriends Zilla at the ball.
Catherine, Khalon's sister and a girl who has a life very much like Zilla's own life.
Taylon, the seamstress who makes Zilla's dress and who Zilla may someday apprentice to.


Who is the SC that is the closest to your MC?
At different parts of the story each play an important part in Zilla's life, but the two that have the biggest play are Aunt Eme and Imra. Aunt Eme is the one that tries to bring Zilla back to reality much too often. And Imra plays a very important part at the end of the book.

How do your SC’s act around people they don’t know?
Well, it really depends on the person. But here's a try at that:

Aunt Eme is always very practical, though Cinderella does seem to bring a special something out of her. She would act confident around those she doesn't know.
Uncle Avus is quiet. He would deal with those he needs to then be on his way.
Prince Dashel is royalty and used to dealing with strangers. He is kind and diplomatic, as he should be.
Khalon is something of a flirt, very excitable and conversational.
Imra is proper.
Catherine is curious and social.
Taylon expects everyone to speak to her about business, and is always thinking about what fabrics might look nice on the person before her.

What conflict do they add to the story (disagreeing with the MC, perhaps)?
Aunt Eme pulls Zilla into a reality she'd rather not know. She adds a lot of conflict by being the voice of reason Zilla wishes were not needed. Zilla does not feel loved by her aunt and wishes only to escape.
Uncle Avus adds no conflict, save from the occasional ignorant but hurtful thing he may sometimes say meaning only to help.
Prince Dashel is the conflict of Zilla's desires and Cinderella's friendship.
Khalon is an annoying distraction.
Imra is the very opposite of conflict until — but that's a spoiler.
Catherine is just a friend, and adds no conflict.
Taylon's dresses are not cheap . . . that adds a lot of struggle.

Would your MC die for any of them? What about vice versa?
Well, Zilla would probably say yes about her Uncle and the Prince and no about everyone else. But when it came down to it I'd hope she'd be selfless enough to do the right thing no matter who the person is. And even deeper down I think she loves her aunt more than she knows.
Imra is a very kind girl and would die for anyone.
Khalon is very reckless and would die for anyone without a thought.
Aunt Eme (despite what Zilla may think) and Uncle Avus would give anything for Zilla, including their lives.
As for the others, I don't know them well enough but they seem like the sort of people who are kind and loving.

If you were writing books about your SCs, what might the books be like?
Aunt Eme: A book about a woman trying to raise an emotional wreck who won't realize just how good she has it. It would be a frustrating book but full of intrigue.
Uncle Avus: Probably boring, because most of his days are full of gardening and market. But the three nights at the ball are some exciting times for the men outdoors with their pipes and cider and rare socializing.
Prince Dashel: A young man's somewhat eager yet excited agreement of a ball of girls to dance with, and his surprise when he finds a certain girl. But why is this girl so distant?
Khalon: With the same title All The Other Girls I can see how this would be a funny book. Because the one girl who he likes is the only girl who won't like him, while all the other girls swoon over him. He considers it his duty to look after his sister, and his sister considers it her privilege to laugh at him.
Catherine: Catherine's book would probably be boring, too . . . or maybe it'd be a drama with a quiet girl at the center of it all?
Taylon: A book about the joys of designing so many dresses and the thoughts the woman has for each young woman or man that enters her shop.

What is your favorite part about the setting?
I love that it's a fairy tale from a unique POV! But I really love what I've done to the whole fairy godmother society (spoilers).

What was the hardest part about coming up with the setting?
It pretty much came to me, but I did have to work out a lot of the backstory and fairy godmother stuff. And the ending keeps changing in my mind (drastically so!). I think the hardest part of this book has been keeping a strong eye on my themes without blaring them ;D

Is there anything about the setting that produced a major change in your character throughout the story?
Sure . . . our settings always help influence us. The culture and times of Zilla are a part of who she is. And the ball really changes the rest of her life and how she sees life.

Did you base your setting off of any place in particular?
Not really . . . just old fairy tale. Maybe kinda 1600s? In rewrites I may do a lot more research in the 1600s just for some added detail inspiration.

PARTICIPANTS

Jules @ Saver of Memories (The Creator)
Ceci @ Ceci Creates
Lisa @ Inkwell
Julia @ Lit Aflame
Melissa @ Quill Pen Writer
Brooklyne @ Showers of Blessings
Keturah @ Keturah’s Korner

NaNo word count: 38,497 words

So, which one sounds the most interesting to you? What do you think of my setting? So far, does All The Other Girls sound like a book you'd buy? 

Tell me how NaNo is going for you! 

Also, I have several new blog followers over the last few days — I really want to say A BIG THANK YOU to all of you lovely girls :) Excited to blog together. 

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Part 5

Comments

  1. Liked learning more about your book!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been so fun sharing with you all as I learn about it, too ;D

      Delete
  2. Your side characters sound so cool! And haha, yes, themes are so hard to put in without shouting them in the story. I’m struggling with that in my story, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! Glad I'm not alone - and hope we're both able to master that theme ;)

      Delete
  3. Heehee, I say, how have I never seen the abbreviation "SC" for "side character" before? Side characters are some of my favorite things ever. :) Prince Dashel and Khalon sound like they'd be my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Never even thought about the abbreviation - it seems everything in the writing world is abbreviated though ;p And elsewhere too I guess. me too! I love side characters! And yes, those two have been fun to write about.

      Delete
  4. Kahlon sounds fun, I love characters like him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Taylon's dresses are not cheap... that adds a lot of struggle." Fair answer... xD And I'd love to read Aunt Eme's book; it would be fun reading about her exasperation! ;P
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, money always adds conflict ;) Haha! I have grown to like writing about Aunt Eme :)

      Delete
  6. I really like how the Aunt and Uncle sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They have been so much fun to watch come alive :)

      Delete
  7. Having the book from Kahlon's POV sounds like a great comedy!!! It would be interesting to do a series, but have all the books be on the same plot, just from different POVs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It would probably be a comedy for sure ;) Yes, that would be interesting ;D But I hate writing series. I like stories that finish with a book ;d But I still love that idea ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Living Like The Amish: Interviews With Three "English" Families PART I

Many people are obsessed with the Amish. I know at one time I was as well, and to a degree I still am. But my perception  has changed with experience. It started a long time ago when my family went to an Amish-held auction (no, it's not a place where you can buy Amish children, but a place where you can buy things from the Amish). I was eleven years old and enthralled to be surrounded by so many Amish. I loved the cockscomb flowers they sold everywhere. I bought a whole box for $2 and dried them for seeds so I could plant my own. But then I experienced my first reality shock concerning the Amish. I had assumed since they lived a simpler life everything about them was completely old-fashioned and natural. Imagine my horror when I saw Amish walking around with soda cans and store-bought ice cream. " Mom ," I said. "He's drinking soda!"  Left to right, back row: Jonny, Jonathan (Dad). Front row: Jacob, Keturah, Rebekah (Mom), Jonah (on Mom's

How Bad Can I Be?: Lyrics That Make You Go "Wow!"

How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of nature (principal of nature) That almost every creature knows Called survival of the fittest (survival of the fittest) And check it this is how it goes The animal that is has got to scratch and bite and claw and bite and punch And the animal that doesn't (well the animal that doesn't) winds up Someone else's lu-lu-lu-lu-unch! (I'm just saying') How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just following my destiny How ba-a-a-ad can I be? I'm just doin' what comes naturally How ba-a-a-ad can I be? How bad can I possibly be? Well, there's a principal of business (principal of b

Peace During Patience

“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” - Philippians 4:6 My family and I were sitting around the breakfast table several months ago. Mom had just read this verse. One of the kids laughed incredulously, “What is it saying? Be careful for nothing – live recklessly?” “No,” I answered quickly. My tone was very matter-of-fact, blunt, as if I were all-knowing. “It means do not worry.” The kids all nodded among themselves and life continued on for them. But for me life paused at my words. I had heard this verse soooooooo many times. I had always known what it meant. But now? Now it really meant something . “Do not worry.” This path I've chosen. I can not see it. I can not feel it. I do not know where I am. I have chosen to follow God, and no other. But why did He hide the light from my eyes? I must take a step forward. But I do not want to. How long w

Inside The Land Of The Free

Hello. My name is Greg.  I have a lot of time to think. Too much time. Sometimes I think about my life - why I am sitting in prison. I wonder what I could have done different - my life plays before my eyes. "If only..." But even I know that no amount of good works would have stopped tyranny from finding fault with me. It is cold. My clothes are thin. My stomach is empty - occasionally filled with food of no sustenance.  I hide my face in my knees - as if that will somehow protect me from the horrors of this dark cold dungeon.  They keep it cold to freeze me, this I know. It is a part of their game - to drive a lesson into me. As if I have a lesson to learn solely because I was convicted. Convicted, but not  guilty. Years.  68 years for standing against injustice. How many years have I sat in here? I have forgot. All I know is this question, "Was I fated for this? Did God grant my birth